Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i need virus protection for an i mac?

I just purchase an i mac and I was wondering if it comes with a virus protection or do I need to install one?? and how do I install? sorry is my first i mac so I don't know how to go base on getting it. Thank you for your attention.

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 9:58 AM

7 replies

Sep 30, 2014 10:17 AM in response to todayrealestate

Regarding the printer, yes most work just fine. However prior to purchasing the printer, check to see if it's compatible with OS X. Then follow Apple's instructions for connecting the printer, you can find those in Mac Basics: Printing in OS X

Also as a rule of thumb, OS X is not at all like MS Windows that relies on third party utilities (such as antivirus apps) to run well. If left alone and kept up-to-date by using Software Update and install all recommended updates most users are rewarded with years of trouble free service.

Sep 30, 2014 11:54 AM in response to todayrealestate

Hope you enjoy the iMac as much as I do. I've had one for two+ years now. Faultless performance, regular updates, generally faultless advice about what to do next. You need something. I agree that the base design and some common sense will get you far, but being a careful driver doesn't protect you from the people out there driving on the sidewalk to scare the pedestrians. I asked at the Apple Store. They recommended ESET in an instant and handed me the box. I think it costs about $60 and you upgrade automatically for the same price every year. Never had a problem that I couldn't easily resolve.

Do i need virus protection for an i mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.