Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini: Can I downgrade to OS X 10.8.5?

Simple question: Since the "current" Mac mini is the Late 2012 model, which originally shipped with OS X 10.8.x, is it possible to purchase a new unit today, wipe the drive, and install OS X 10.8.5? I have a 10.8.x installer.

Reason for this question: I have read about many problems with Server 3.x on OS X 10.9.x and Windows clients. I need to use a Mac mini to support some Windows 7 clients and know 10.8.5 with Server is stable.

Is this viable? Any other thoughts?

Thank you,

Pete

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 2:37 PM

11 replies

Oct 1, 2014 1:31 AM in response to dcimino

That will not work if the Mini came with Mavericks. Reinstalling using internet recovery installs the OS version that came with the Mini.

dcimino wrote:

easily done by booting into the restore mode and reinstalling 10.8.5 just select install fresh copy of ML this will leave all your settings, apps and other data intact

I have done this many time and I am using the same mac mini……

Oct 1, 2014 8:03 AM in response to lllaass

The response was to:

"Simple question: Since the "current" Mac mini is the Late 2012 model, which originally shipped with OS X 10.8.x, is it possible to purchase a new unit today, wipe the drive, and install OS X 10.8.5? I have a 10.8.x installer."

He clearly states that his late 2012 came with 10.8.x so lets not create confusion.

Oct 1, 2014 8:25 AM in response to dcimino

The original poster did not say that his 2012 Mini originally came with ML. All he said was the 2012 Mini originally shipped with ML.

There is a difference with "his" Mini and "2102 model".Mini

dcimino wrote:

The response was to:

"Simple question: Since the "current" Mac mini is the Late 2012 model, which originally shipped with OS X 10.8.x, is it possible to purchase a new unit today, wipe the drive, and install OS X 10.8.5? I have a 10.8.x installer."

He clearly states that his late 2012 came with 10.8.x so lets not create confusion.

Oct 1, 2014 8:28 AM in response to dcimino

dcimino wrote:

The response was to:

No he does not, read it again.

Mac mini: Can I downgrade to OS X 10.8.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.