Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I now have an ***81*** gig Other category

Have the new iPhone 6 regular 128gb, and ever since I copied a lot of music onto it, it's been doubling the Other category. I restore it, it doubles it again. I removed music sync in itunes. Now instead of 80 gigs of music, the Other category is 81 gigs. I've restored this phone to factory settings TWICE.

I guess I should take it into the Apple store and trade it in for a 32 gig version. That's still more storage than I have now. If Tunes isn't capable of handling music files to fill up the 128 gigs of space, they should not have released a phone with that much storage.

iPhone 6, iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 4:46 PM

8 replies

Sep 30, 2014 5:13 PM in response to Clyde77

Thanks, but I've done that twice already, and the very next time I plug in to iTunes, I can't sync because Other is 20 gigs. I remove 20 gigs of music - other grows to 40. It's maddening. I'll restore it one last time, then it goes back to Apple. Three times is enough. So. Here I go again. I just LOVE having to restore my phone THREE times in the week since I bought it. I'm sure having it write nearly its entire storage space over and over and over is really good for it, too.

Oct 2, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

I'd actually read that article before I posted. It's great as far as it goes. Expanding "other" is an old Apple problem they don't seem interested in fixing.

However, what's happening to me isn't a slight increase. My Other became 81 gigs. After my third restore-to-factory-and-reload-everything, it was back to a normal size. Now, my phone only has about half the music that's supposed to sync. Half-albums. Songs missing. But at least the Other category is a tiny 1.8 gigs on my 128 gig phone. However, this happened last time as well.

iTunes apparently can't copy massive numbers of files to the phone without completely screwing up the device. That means there's no point in owning a 128 gig phone, unless you're willing to manually copy all your music files because iTunes screws up your phone if you do it any other way. As it is, each time I plug in, iTunes starts copying over still more music files, despite the fact that it said it was sync'd already. It's just a matter of time until I plug it in again and see, in real-time, the image of other jump from 1.8 to well over 25 gigs. In and instant. The graph comes up, the sync starts, and a few seconds later there's not enough room on my device because the other file is huge.

I realize this must have something to do with how it's syncing songs. And of course it's unreasonable of me to expect Apple to have mastered the amazingly complex "copying a file" process. It's not like they've had any experience with "computers" or "music" before. They're just Unfrozen Cave-Man Programmers. Our devices and ways are strange and frightening to them.

Thanks, Apple. I'm just counting the days until Other explodes again and I return this worthless device for the 16 gig version. If you won't let me use the 128 gigs of space, I want my $200 back! It's bad enough they price gouge for memory, but to then have software that can't even handle the file copy process is absurd.

Oct 2, 2014 7:30 AM in response to SnopesTX

I'd actually read that article before I posted. It's great as far as it goes. Expanding "other" is an old Apple problem they don't seem interested in fixing.

Think of "other" as a browser cache for your apps. It is normal for it to expand as you use your apps. Developers are responsible for how they manage data internally. Some do it better than others. There is some possibility for the db to somehow get corrupted and a restore is one way to correct it. All that said, Apple may not have anything to "fix" as you say. How much music are you synching? I'm wondering if metadata, including cover art, might be the culprit. Perhaps not but worth a look.

However, what's happening to me isn't a slight increase. My Other became 81 gigs. After my third restore-to-factory-and-reload-everything, it was back to a normal size. Now, my phone only has about half the music that's supposed to sync. Half-albums. Songs missing. But at least the Other category is a tiny 1.8 gigs on my 128 gig phone. However, this happened last time as well.

Your situation seems to be rare, if not unique. I've never seen "other" this big. Your problem may also not be in iOS or your iPhone but in some corruption of your iTunes library on you Mac or PC. Have you looked into that? There are several threads in the forums discussing how to rebuild the library but I cannot find them now. You can do a search yourself to see if they help.

I realize this must have something to do with how it's syncing songs. And of course it's unreasonable of me to expect Apple to have mastered the amazingly complex "copying a file" process. It's not like they've had any experience with "computers" or "music" before. They're just Unfrozen Cave-Man Programmers. Our devices and ways are strange and frightening to them.

Thanks, Apple. I'm just counting the days until Other explodes again and I return this worthless device for the 16 gig version. If you won't let me use the 128 gigs of space, I want my $200 back! It's bad enough they price gouge for memory, but to then have software that can't even handle the file copy process is absurd.

Just one guy's opinion so take it or leave it - realize you're not addressing Apple here. A lot of people come here just to whine (justified or not) but those serious about getting help steer clear of language like this. This is a user-supported forum and those providing support here do so in their free time. None of us if affiliated with Apple, but we're fans obviously. That doesn't make us blind to problems, but I can't say it doesn't affect our interactions with users. We choose the posts we respond to and hyperbolic comments like those in your post get old really quickly - especially around the time of a major iOS upgrade when emotions run high and lot's of first-time forum members are spouting things along the lines of "Fix <fill in your problem here> Apple or I'm going to Android for good!". It's maybe funny to some but it's not really constructive and it turns people off of trying to help you. You may only see a bunch of "me too" posts rather than construction advice and troubleshooting tips.

So in short, stick to the facts and people are more likely to spend time - sometimes considerable time - trying to help you. Just sayin'.

Oct 22, 2014 4:10 PM in response to SnopesTX

I ran into this vicious bug a few times. In all cases it was due to my large music library becoming corrupt during a sync. Restore never worked because the backups saved the corrupt files within them (great job Apple). The ONLY thing that has worked for me is to delete the corrupt files manually. I used diskaid to manually browse to the corrupted /music folder and remove the 35+ gb . I've posted a link for instructions on how to do this here but it only gets deleted by moderators. Shame on you Apple.This bug has been affecting people for years and you ban posters who are only trying to help.

May 24, 2015 8:02 AM in response to SnopesTX

I've had this same problem but with photos, I bought the 128 so I could keep a larger amount of pictures on the phone with me while I travel but when I sync my phone I wind up with a huge amount of "other" space, like the same or more than what my "photos" space is so I get to the point where I can only put on like 40-50 gig of pictures and iTunes starts screwing up and takes hours to sync and I can't actually sync anything else, I too bought the 128 for the storage and I too am also pretty upset that I can't use the storage that I bought! I like iphones in general and apple too, but apple needs to take care of this problem, it should never had been a problem in the first place, I spent 3 hours on the phone with apple support, I've had my phone reset to factory 2 times on an apple computer in an apple store, it's been reset to factory at home now probably at least 5 or 6 times and completely started over not restoring from a backup, and I still keep getting the same result, 40-50 gigs of pictures and videos at most before it gives me problems, not anywhere near the 100 plus gig I should be able to put on it, I only have about 2 gig of music on the phone. Apple fix this problem with iTunes or actually tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I now have an ***81*** gig Other category

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.