Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I own a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) with a 500 GB Apple SSD SM0512F (Revision UXM2JA1Q).

I own a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) with a 500 GB Apple SSD SM0512F (Revision UXM2JA1Q). I’d like to replace this original SSD with a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB. Am I going to encounter problems in trying to remove & replace the SSDs? That is, are they the same type of SSD, with same connection?

I plan to have a "tech" do the actual work inside the MacBook Pro, but I'd like to know if the current SSD can be easily replaced with the Samsung SSD 840 EVO?

Please note that I am so "green" that I'm not even sure if this provides adequate information to answer my question!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 5:21 PM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2014 9:55 AM in response to popcornjim

it's not possible to replace your SSD with 840 EVO.

Samsung 840 EVO is a standard 2.5" drive with SATA connector, while Retina MacBooks use proprietary "stick" form-factor with PCI Express interface.

AFAIK, there are no compatible PCIe SSDs on the market, the only upgrades you'll find are for earlier (2012) Retina MacBook Pros which use SATA.

If you're looking for extra capacity, external USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt HDD/SSD is the best option.

I own a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) with a 500 GB Apple SSD SM0512F (Revision UXM2JA1Q).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.