Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do photos I have previously deleted keep reappearing in my iPhoto library in new photo stream albums

I have tried deleting the photos in these new photo stream albums, but they keep reappearing. How do I delete them for good?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 7:14 PM

11 replies

Oct 1, 2014 2:39 AM in response to lthomas7091

I have tried deleting the photos in these new photo stream albums, but they keep reappearing. How do I delete them for good?

Where have you deleted the photos?

In the "Shared > iCloud" section of the iPhoto library, or from the monthly events? Or from the monthly events "Aug 2014 Photo Stream" or similar? Deleting from the monthly streams will only delete them from the library, but not from the Photo Stream. They may be synced back, when you switch the photo stream on and off. You need to delete the photos from both places, if you want them to be gone for good.

But remember, deleting a photo from "Shared > iCloud" section will delete it from the photo stream on all devices you are syncing with the photo stream.

See this link: iCloud: How to delete photos from Photo Stream

Jul 3, 2015 6:28 AM in response to MrIndesign

Feedback on what? A vague description of a problem?

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Jul 3, 2015 7:34 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have all systems on all OS up to date, always.

It occurred the first time when I installed the public version of the new photos app.

I deleted photos from there and from my phone, checked different streams and also iCloud.com.

Nothing was there, also the photo trash was emptied.

Up to now it happened three times. Latest today. Just opened it and saw new photos.

The upsetting part of it is not only the bad user experience from something I expect to work, but that photos I wanted to be deleted permanently are still somewhere on the servers! That is basically unacceptable.

I synced photos to iCloud shortly before the desktop app was released. No other source.

Jul 3, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

I am not sure if the app (photos) itself is even the problem or the underlying architecture of the whole cloud service.

As I said photos have been deleted permanently but reappeared nevertheless.

As I'm on the go I cannot give you the exact version number of osx, but it is up to date of there hasn't been an update today.

My iPhone runs on 8.4.

Why do photos I have previously deleted keep reappearing in my iPhoto library in new photo stream albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.