Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Rotation Broken

iPad Air.

UpdatEd to latest IOS 8.02 and now screen rotation is broke, stuck in portrait mode. Tried all the basic solutions; lock screen toggling, resetting, completely erasing everything and starting over. Nothing works. Had no problems before the update. Seems like I'm screwed. Any ideas?

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 8:39 PM

12 replies

Oct 17, 2014 9:18 AM in response to KarlDownlw

Same issue. 2 hours to fix/ resolve or it to just go away.

Got this to work (finally) though I'm not sure what ultimately cleared things up but I have a theory- see below.

First, I tried working with Apple Support. They were:

1) not at all familiar with this issue. "First I've ever heard of this."

2) strongly suggested that the issue was due to me not knowing how to use the side buttons

3) pointed out smugly, that not all apps can only be used portrait (hmmm...the native video viewing app, safari, iTunes etc. really???)

Ultimately I got the screen rotation to work through repetition of what I thought were the same steps: going into settings menu and after trying to set and unset the screen rotation "check." At one point I shut down my iPad down- while in settings mode and this seemed to work. I had done a number of shutdowns before- not while in settings mode- but they didn't seem to work. No more screen rotation lock issue! Hard to say if and why this did the trick. Could just be coincidence.

BTW- Apple care promised to get back to me. They didn't . Unhappy.

Oct 22, 2014 9:43 AM in response to R.Cathcart

R.Cathcart wrote:

My screen rotation on my ipad 2 was working fine before the IOS 8.1 update.

I've erased, restored, powered off/on... everything. This is a problem with 8.1.

The OP mentions 8.0.2 and posted long before 8.1 was available. your problem seems different as screen rotation was working before 8.1. I suggest you start a new question that gives a good title to a specific problem. Then in the body of the thread describe the problem in detail, tell us what steps you have tried so far to correct the problem, what happened, and what error messages you received.

Oct 22, 2014 9:49 AM in response to KarlDownlw

KarlDownlw wrote:

iPad Air.

UpdatEd to latest IOS 8.02 and now screen rotation is broke, stuck in portrait mode. Tried all the basic solutions; lock screen toggling, resetting, completely erasing everything and starting over. Nothing works. Had no problems before the update. Seems like I'm screwed. Any ideas?

If you haven't already done so I suggest you update to iOS 8.1. This update has corrected many of the problems of the earlier versions of iOS 8.

Screen Rotation Broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.