Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am not able to receive calls or text messages

I can not get any calls or text messages. I took it into the Sprint store but they want to reset it to factory setting so I would like to try and avoid that if possible.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 8:33 PM

1 reply

Oct 3, 2014 10:40 AM in response to Sashag1014

Hello there, Shashag1014.

The following Knowledge Base articles offer up some great recommendations for troubleshooting issues with making/receiving calls on your iOS device:

iPhone: Troubleshooting issues making or receiving calls

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3406

Follow the steps below to resolve this issue. Please test after each step.

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings > Enable Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn off airplane mode.
  2. Check your phone settings:
  3. Ensure that your software is up to date:
    1. Check for a carrier settings update.
    2. Check for an iOS software update.
      Note:
      Some updates may require a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. If the iPhone has a SIM card, reseat the SIM card.
  5. If the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s is on the Verizon network, dial *228 from the iPhone and select option 2 to update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL). The PRL determines the cellular towers the phone uses for cellular service, selecting those with the best signal strength.
  6. Reset the network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  7. Try to make or receive calls in another location.
  8. Attempt to isolate to one network band:
    • If you're having the issue on LTE, disable LTE, if possible, and try again.
    • If you're having the issue on 3G/4G, disable 3G/4G, if possible, and try again.
  9. Contact the carrier to check the following:
    • Your account is properly configured to use the specific iPhone that has the issue.
    • There are no localized service outages.
    • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
    • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.
  10. Restore the phone as new.

If the above steps don't resolve the issue, go to an Apple Retail Store, carrier, Apple Authorized Reseller, or contact AppleCare to send the phone in for service.

This additional article speaks to issues with sending messages:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

I am not able to receive calls or text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.