Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laserjet p2015dn - Can I set the default tray?

I have a the need to use the regular paper tray for printing new orders to our shipping area, and also I have a need to set the bypass tray to print shipping labels. I'm drawing a blank as to how I can set the default trays for each purpose. Basically, I wold like to install the same printer twice, the first one will be called Shipping, and the second one will be UPS Labels. Can this be done in OSX 10.9? Is there a universal driver I can try that will allow this functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Zack

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 6:05 AM

9 replies

Oct 1, 2014 11:49 AM in response to zbomb33

So, does that mean you haven't been able to use two paper feeds yet at all?

You can change which optional settings are actually available by using the OS X/CUPS internal web page. Use a browser and go to localhost:631/admin.

Oh I forgot - if you've never used this, you have to enable the CUPS web inferface.

Open a Terminal Utility window and type this:

sudo cupsctl WebInterface=yes

(sudo means superuser = admin - so it asks for your admin password - then it hides it as you type it, for security!)

Go to the Printers tab, then highlight/double-click the specific printer.

Then in the Administration pull-down, select Set Default Options. select what you want to see, then click Set Default Options on the bottom.

Oct 1, 2014 12:43 PM in response to greg sahli

This really helps quite a bit, I am able to select tray 2 from the cups web gui and set it as default. However, when I go to print, it still pulls from tray 1 (bypass tray). I've also tried going into Word and printing from there, then looking at the options for the printer. When I look at the "Paper Feed" setting it shows "All Pages From - Auto Select". Perhaps I'm forgetting a step here.

Oct 1, 2014 1:10 PM in response to zbomb33

I don't have that printer, and all options are basically on a per driver OR per app basis, so All I can say is keep looking for what you want -- or maybe the driver doesn't really support what is listed?

By the way, the new Apple concept of "Airprint" - driverless (generic) printing puts an extra wrinkle into this area. Most driver options are eliminated when using the airprint (non-driver driver) choice.

Is your printer Airprint-capable?

About AirPrint

Mac Basics: Printing in OS X

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?s pf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253 Demr_na-c02968266-13%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCache Tok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Oct 2, 2014 5:48 AM in response to greg sahli

I do know that the driver works in a windows environment giving the ability to select the source tray. I think you are right though, the particular driver that is used on the Apple side may not allow this option. OR, I might need to add a tray 3 underneath the unit. Not sure I want to throw money at a hypothetical solution though. I will read up on AirPrint a bit and post my findings.

Oct 3, 2014 1:34 PM in response to zbomb33

zbomb33 wrote:

This really helps quite a bit, I am able to select tray 2 from the cups web gui and set it as default. However, when I go to print, it still pulls from tray 1 (bypass tray). I've also tried going into Word and printing from there, then looking at the options for the printer. When I look at the "Paper Feed" setting it shows "All Pages From - Auto Select". Perhaps I'm forgetting a step here.

I think this may be one of those cases that may be very counter intuitive. I think it will work though. I set up a file printer with your printer's PPD. I went to the CUPS web interface and changed the default input tray to 2. I verified that the changes had been made by looking at the PPD at /etc/cups/ppd The Paper Sources section begins about line 4092. The default InputSlot had been changed to Tray2. I then "printed" a document and searched the PostScript code for "InputSlot". It wasn't in the commands sent to the printer. In other words, it defaulted to the printer's preference of Tray 1.

As a control, I "printed" a document. In the print window, I looked under Paper Feed and chose All Pages From: Tray 2 I looked at the PostScript code from that print job and found it gave the command to use InputSlot Tray2. See if that works for you. If that works, then you can make your presets using the various options under Paper Feed. I checked and that should work.

You might also want to check out a thread on the HP support forum that I found. It may be of help, or it may cause more confusion.

Please let us know if this helps or makes no difference.

HP Laserjet p2015dn - Can I set the default tray?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.