Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring from iCloud Backup Stuck

Setting up my iPhone 6 for the first time, I elected to restore from my latest backup of my old 4s. Although I am not sure, it seems like everything has been restored, but the lock screen still reads "Restoring from iCloud Backup" (for about 16 hours now). I can stop the restore process, but the warning is ominous: "Any data that has not been downloaded will not be restored or backed up in the future.". If I stop now, could I potentially lose data?? I've tried restarting the iPhone. It's still stuck.

I'm thinking of wiping it and and trying the restore again. Any advice against this or other suggestions?

Cheers!

-Jason

iPhone 6, iOS 8, Not yet upgraded to 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 6:47 AM

1 reply

Oct 4, 2014 6:39 AM in response to segelvergnuegen

Hello segelvergnuegen,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Restoring from an iCloud backup can vary in time, depending on how much content needs to be restored, and how strong your internet connection is. Often times, items like photos and videos can take the longest amount of time to restore, given their file sizes.

The restore process is taking a long time to finish.

The amount of time needed by the restore process depends on your geographical location and the speed of your Internet connection. Even with a fast Internet connection, the restore process might take 1 to 4 hours per gigabyte to complete.

If you're traveling between countries, the restore process might take longer than usual. iCloud is tuned to provide the best service when you're in the geographical location from which you most frequently connect to the Internet. When restoring from an iCloud backup, iCloud is tuned to provide the best service in the geographical region you were in when you created the backup.

If you need help restoring an iCloud backup

Take care,

Alex H.

Restoring from iCloud Backup Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.