Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with imovie download from icloud drive

I recently logged into icloud.com from my windows 7 pc and selected the icloud drive icon. From there, I went into the imovies folder and then uploaded a short mp4 video (44mb) that I had saved on my hard drive. It was a video taken from an iphone a long time ago. It uploaded successfully and the video file is now sitting in my iMovie folder on icloud.com. Good so far.

Now, I went to my ios 8 iphone 5 (icloud drive enabled) and opened my iMovie app. Within the app, I tap on "projects" and then tap the download icon because I would like to get the video I just uploaded to drive, onto my phone. This now shows me my iMovie folder from icloud drive. I tap on this folder, and it shows me the video I just uploaded, along with other iMovie projects that are already on my phone. The problem is, it doesn't let me tap on ANY of the videos to download them. It almost seems as if they are greyed out. Even the ones that are already on my phone as projects. I still have plenty of phone and icloud storage capacity.

Is anyone having the same problem or has a resolution?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 11:34 AM

I am having a similar problem. I created a movie about month ago, now the clips are in the cloud and won't download. I don't want to start from scratch, but if I go get the clips they won't be edited and I have to start over. iMovie makes it seem like the clips will download, but they never do.

10 replies

Jun 7, 2017 8:15 PM in response to Community User

HELLO,I have been having a problem with my iMovies as I have one right now and I had a full movie ready to export to my YouTube. The next day i go to check it out so I can upload it and it shows the cloud on each little video in the top right and when I try to download the video from my moments it says failed to download video and to check my internet, and I have wifi that was working at the time I double checked . So now it shows the videos all in the bottom of my phone to edit but they have te cloud on the top right so if I push play to play the movie nothing comes out please help asap PLEASE

Jun 12, 2017 10:45 PM in response to Community User

I wanted to download video that I had originally saved from Snapchat. The reason I couldn't download my edited video was because the video originally from Snapchat was in my video. So instead of taking your downloaded video from downloads. So : (for iPhone or iPad etc)

Go onto the edit section of the project,

Click on the plus,

Go onto VIDEOS,

DO NOT go into All,

Instead go into downloads

And in downloads any video that had been taken from anywhere and not from camera (such as snapchat in my case) will be there.

And you can use these videos, and you will be able to save them after.

Sep 14, 2017 4:50 PM in response to Eliotte23

I have this problem all the time & none of the answers I've seen have solved my problem. My best advice it to record and edit your video the same day then upload to YouTube as a private video. But sometimes you don't have the time to do that. So Apple! Get yo **** together! I should be able to come back to my project on iMovie and finish editing at my own pace and not worry about videos being downloaded from iCloud.... it's very frustrating!

Dec 5, 2016 11:49 AM in response to Community User

(on iPad) ------- NONE OF THIS INFO. WAS HELPFUL HERE !?

No matter if I try viewing from the video album, or download from the section where you pick media files inside iMovie, it tries getting ithe video-file for a while, and then it just keeps telling me to check my internet all the time. ....so I have tried to do the Forget network and log on aNew.

I have also tried updating my iPad.

Even when I choose the option inside iMovie where you can access iCloud, the box that pops up is just empty, and since we can not see filenames anywhere I can not even search the files I need.

I also tried accessing from my iMac, but there is no iCloud icon in the Finder, and neither in the Preferences of Finder!?

...so I also updated the iMac, and I restarted it as well.

Problem with imovie download from icloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.