Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.0.2 grayed out wifi on my iPhone 4s

This is ridiculous and I'm so furious. This incident may deter me from EVER purchasing another product from Apple ever again. The new software has disabled my wifi completely, and the button is grayed out. I tried all the possible solutions they pose on the support site, but nothing, of course, was successful. I know it is a software problem and the fact that I can't talk to anyone on the phone about it is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not paying $20 for a software mistake on Apple's part. If there is anyone who knows how to fix this problem without having to wait for the next update, any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 11:21 AM

40 replies

Oct 2, 2014 5:34 PM in response to beth152

same problem here aswell & the funny thing about it is ios8.0 I didn't get to update the phone so when they sent out 8.0.1 , I was

home on my day off work I updated the phone and it was still working ,internet/wifi 7 all. after the 8.01 another update pop up 8.0.2 I set it to update over night woke up sunday and no wifi, I cant even turn wifi the thing wont even slide to ON it (greyed out) and I charge my phone at night 100% batt in morning, by 2pm battery life at 8% no apps opened and I only sent 2 txt...I even tried downgrading to ios 8.0 no go! reinstall ios8.02 still the samething crap. and ios 7.1.2 & 8.0.1 is nowhere to be found. whats the use of the iphone without internet when apps,icloud,facetime,etc uses the wifi ?

this is ******** come apple you guy can do BETTER!

don't mean to hijack BETH152, but finally realized its my phone but the messed up ios8

iphone 4S IOS8.0 & 8.0.2

Oct 5, 2014 7:40 AM in response to carlinto

HEy guys I am so furious as well !!!! Completely same thing happened to me as well!!! Tried everything and my wifi is totally gray and cant turned it on !!! Are they making fun of us or what ? What should I do now??? Its crazy really, so expensive iphone and so ridiculous - you upgrade ios and you are not able to use the wifi. Crazy world. going to service guys tomorrow, I am really curious what they are going to do

Oct 14, 2014 7:42 AM in response to kkoemets

guys, I know it sounds silly, but after Apple refused to repair my iphone because it was already half a year out of warranty, I googled some stuff..and I tried this crazy thing with heating up the iphone with hairdryer and then switching off and then putting into freezer..and the wifi started to work !!!! today is 1 week already..I felt crazy and my friends dont want to believe me but really I tried it and it works. I was very disappointed with the Apple reply to my request..I said I downloaded their ios and now its not working..they said I have 2 options - 1. to pay for the repair, it means to pay for the exchange for a new one - more than 200 eur; 2. to wait for the new release that maybe repairs my problem. REALLY GREAT !!!!

have you guys solved your problem with wifi ? how ?

thanks, Martin

Oct 14, 2014 7:54 AM in response to beth152

It's option, but I can't go around with iPhone one hand and hairdryer second hand and if taking a lunch looking for freezer.

If this company screwed my phone, they should come up with solution, not me as a client should not mess around with some hairdryer and freezer. As reading other posts this is also temporary and you may loose it any moment, I can't do business like that and I did not bought it that way. I was also going into local repair shop, but they told me, they don't have good option how to fix it permanently.

Seems like only way to fix this issue for some hundred is to by some good Samsung or HTC or something else, that works without hairdryer and freezer.

It's really ridiculous, and Apples only suggestions are a'la try to restart. Try it in your multi-billion testing labs and then tell me if it's work. I'm not your testing lab, but I can tell you for my phone it does not work. Duh.

Oct 14, 2014 8:07 AM in response to kkoemets

I completely understand. I hope for myself it will work very very long, maybe forever. Its really unfair, I totally agree.. People around the world have problem and they wont allow us for example to downgrade for ios 7 ? simple solution that will probably help us, but they say NO. just NO. really crazy. the worst thing is I would love to change it for another phone but I want this one. but still they should not take advantage of it and be fair. it costs really a lot of money so I really dont understand why they dont treat they customers in the fair way.

Oct 23, 2014 6:32 PM in response to Uranfrajer

ok so new update came out I updated the 4s again as I really had nothing to lose as the battery life still drains and still no wifi after 3 weeks. New update 8.1 did not fix anything for my 4S . Anyhow I went ahead and did what kkeomets suggested and its does work now my wifi is working but it does not show the signal meter at the top of the screen. All I did was hold the 4S about 8" above my stove top until it gets hot it will pop up something say phone too hot to use with a red meter. Once you see that turn the phone off and drop it in a plastic bag tie the bag and put in in the freezer until it cools down. Take it out turn it on go to setting and wifi should turn On by itself. Try it works for me . Thanks for sharing kkeomets weird but it works.

Oct 28, 2014 6:05 AM in response to beth152

Same thing just happened to my wife's 4s after updating to ios8.

I am pretty good at fixing computers and will try the heat-cool down operation.

I don't think it's a complete software issue; that is to say, I think the software caused the problem but it cannot fix it after it happens. It is a hardware issue now.

This will happen to some 4s' but not others because not all the chips in your phone come for the same manufactures. There are obviously some problems with a certain batch of wifi chips.

Please support your customers Apple.

Apple owner since 1996.

Oct 28, 2014 6:14 AM in response to WhatDoYouDoForALife

Thanks and that is most frustrating that Apple does not give any official responses regarding this.

That is not users fault, that is Apples fault. Ok, it's a 4S, that is "old" phone, but it worked for me, and I don't need fancy-pansy latest models with news whistles. But at least, Apple, admit that you screwed something again, and can't do anything and I can throw away my iPhone. But I can't do it today, as there could be some chance for fix next week, eh?

Oct 28, 2014 11:13 AM in response to beth152

I have the same problem with ios 8.1 and iphone 4s.

Additional is that accu is empty very quickly. after about 12h standby and about 60 min of use

I did an update via itunes from ios 8.1 to 8.1 (yes same version via maintenance mode) and after that WLAN switch was availabe again.

it found my wlan but a few minutes later connection was lost and no more wlan has been shown for the whole afternoon.

But the accu-problem was gone.

After restarting the iphone the wlan-switch was greyed out again and the accu starts going emtpy very quick.

Please, Apple, give us back iOS 7 as long as you are not able to fix ios8 completly

Chris

iOS 8.0.2 grayed out wifi on my iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.