Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Early 2009 freezes at password prompts

Nearly every password prompt my Mac Pro 2009 will freeze the machine. In order reboot, I have to power down the machine, wait several minutes (10 at least) for it to boot up. I have tried several things, verify/repair disk, PRAM reset, SMC Reset, Safeboot,. I've tried keychain repair (when possible, sometimes it will freeze to open or repair it). I also have the "classic" problem of black screen after the monitor goes to sleep. I've tried removing all peripherals too. I'm at a wits end....

OSX 10.9.5 (this issue started happening long before 10.9 and I keep praying the next release will fix it).

I am running Win7 on a separate disk, using bootcamp. I

MacPro 4.1 Early 2009

2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA Quadro K5000M 4096 MB

3TB ST3000DM001-CH166 OS X boot drive.

OS X 10.9.5

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 11:37 AM

16 replies

Oct 1, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Mr. Wills

The login screen is the first moment your Mac switches to using the loaded Graphics Driver. Problems on that screen may indicate graphics Hardware problems.

Try booting to Safe Mode (hold down Shift at Startup). After running the equivalent of Disk Utility (Repair disk) the system boots up with only a very minimal set of drivers, NOT including the Graphics card drivers. The screen is drawn in simple mode, which may be somewhat slower.

Oct 1, 2014 12:22 PM in response to Mr. Wills

Did you try a clean install? then use Setup Assistant.

Also, buy Carbon Copy Cloner and enable the advanced option to do checksum on all files copied to help insure they are correct.

While looking for a possible new boot drive, an SSD is excellent. Otherwise, zero a drive, and before you continue to use the current one, after you clone or backup the system and data, time to erase and create all new partition tables. I would do that at least on using a new OS. I would never install anything let alone a newer OS on a system that was not 200% sound and solid. Upgrade is just asking for trouble.

Setup Assistant has made it easy to keep your old system as is and bring what you need along but leave the old one intact - and hopefully as your safety net in case the new system has its own issues.

Oct 1, 2014 12:38 PM in response to The hatter

I've tried the clean installs, fresh disks. Safe Boot either takes a very, very long time or it doesn't work either. I can't explain the wait time to reboot. You have to power off, wait "x" minutes. If you wait too short a period of time, you get the spinning gear (which is what I'm watching while trying the safe boot).

I think this started happening with Mountain Lion. I read that several MacPro's were affected and have yet to read a good resolution to the issue. My machine can boot without any problem in Windows 7.

Oct 1, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Mr. Wills

The spinning gear is presented to avoid overwhelming you with the Terminal commands as they go by. But those commands, if you could see them, would tell you what is going on while you are waiting so long. They can be inspected out of the system Logs with console.app, or you can see them "live" by invoking Verbose mode (hold down command-V as you boot up)

Oct 2, 2014 9:09 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant, there are other issues as well, which are probably more annoying than waiting 5 to 10 minutes in order to reboot. The machine freezes on most password prompts, either safari or software updates. This is extremely annoying. I've gone through the keychain to fix it and sometimes even opening the keychain freezes the machine. I'll send the console log as soon as I can boot the machine, but it may be difficult to sign into this forum using the Mac. Most likely it will freeze for the password prompt.

Oct 2, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Mr. Wills

If you are finding the use of this computer overwhelming, then it is probably time to visit your Apple store. Your appointment at the genius bar at an Apple Store for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out, and if hardware is needed, repairs are mostly done at flat rate (no surprises). But there is no obligation to have them do anything for a fee.

Oct 3, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Mr. Wills

Windows talks to the hardware different, has more drivers to support a wider range of products

You have these two items:

NVIDIA Quadro K5000M 4096 MB

3TB ST3000DM001-CH166 OS X boot drive.

I would want to try a different GPU if possible - even a PC card and just know you won't see "early boot" or EFI boot manager (via Option key) -

I definitely prefer to use and see a 250-500GB SSD system drive (esp. Windows)

Then clone Windows to another drive (Paragon HDM 14, or Carbon Copy Cloner 4.0 for OS X) as backups and then pull either the new clone or the old system - and always have Windows and OS X on their own separate disk drive. And data on its own drive - NTFS for Mac from Paragon is perfect for using NTFS and sharing iwth both, or there is Paragon HFS+ but which I don't care for as much.

You posted output from etrecheck? www.etresoft.com

Mac Pro Early 2009 freezes at password prompts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.