Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to watch purchased content on apple tv

I have been having issues with my apple tv for a few months now!

I get as far as the purchased tv show episode within the menu and when I hit play and it say "there is an error connecting to iTunes"

I cannot get the latest up date either. I was having Internet connectivity issues, but moved my modem closer and now vevo and YouTube work, just not my purchased content.

It was also freezing up on me contuously, but I reset it and so far it's been ok.

Is my hard drive pooched?

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 2:52 PM

1 reply

Oct 4, 2014 12:22 PM in response to Orrshaw

Hello there, Orrshaw.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great trecommendations for troubleshooting issues with connectivity and your Apple TV:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4546

If you are unable to access or play content while connected to a Wi-Fi network

• Restart your Apple TV: Choose Settings > General > Restart.
  • Verify that you are selecting the correct network if you are in a location with multiple Wi-Fi networks.
  • Check the IP address that Apple TV is using. If it starts with 169.x.x.x, the router may not be configured properly.
    • If the router is using DHCP addressing, verify that the router is not limiting the number of devices that can connect through Wi-Fi.
    • If the router is using manual IP addressing, you will need to configure Apple TV with a manual IP address. You can do this by selecting your network on the Apple TV and choosing Configure IP.
  • Disconnect and rejoin your Wi-Fi network by selecting your network on the Apple TV and then choosing Forget Network. Rejoin your Wi-Fi network after it disconnects.
    User uploaded file
  • Verify that your Wi-Fi router is not using security features that may restrict content or devices:
    • If your router has a built-in firewall, you may need to adjust your settings to provide access to common ports used for services. For more information, see Apple TV: TCP and UDP ports and protocols.
    • If you need to add the MAC address to the access list for the Wi-Fi router, the MAC address is listed as the Wi-Fi address in Settings > General > About.
  • Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware.

For an AirPort Base Station, refer to this article for information about firmware updates. For third-party Wi-Fi routers, check the manufacturer's website for details on updating your firmware.

• If possible, connect using Ethernet and verify that you can play content. If you are able to successfully play content using Ethernet, verify your Apple TV is using the latest software by choosing Settings > General > Software Update.

Note: When using a public or commercial network that requires a login or subscription, Apple TV may not be able to connect to the Internet. Check with the network administrator for assistance.

If you tried all of these steps and your Wi-Fi issues persist, contact Apple technical support or take your Apple TV to the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).

Note: Diagnostic fees may apply for issues not covered under warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Not able to watch purchased content on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.