Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio dropouts: "clipIfNecessary" Console messages

[I mistakenly posted this in the "Mountain Lion" community but the forum software refused to let me move the message to the Mavericks forum ("you are not authorized")! It also refused to let me delete the message (this was about one minute after I posted it – so here it is again, in the correct community!]

I know there are a few questions regarding this issue already up here but there are no definitive (or close to definitive) answers yet so think of this as a bump. I'm a musician making my living playing gigs with a laptop rig. I've been doing this very successfully with three different laptops over the last almost nine years – until now. My current laptop is a 15" Retina MBP (late 2013). I'll be playing and suddenly the audio will drop out entirely or turn to fuzz. This only lasts about a second or two, then it comes back. It's very intermittent which makes the troubleshooting almost impossible. I can go three or four gigs with perfect audio. When it does happen it tends to only happen once per gig. I make a note of the time, then check the system log in Console and always see hundreds (sometimes over 1200) of these same messages at the exact time the audio broke up:

kernel[0] IOAudioStream[0xffffff801eb25800]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (5c5f,3aa8)->(5c60,3fa4).

kernel[0] IOAudioStream[0xffffff801eb25800]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (5c60,3aa8)

The exact memory locations change of course. The time stamps for each message are the same, or within a second – they are flooding the log. Just to make things more interesting, I've seen these messages in the log after a gig where I heard no audible issues! In those cases though, there were less of them. So it looks like it's the kind of issue that becomes audible only when there are very many of these message generated at the same time. I am using the onboard audio (optical)– not an external audio interface.

I've been all over Google looking for any kind of clue as to what's causing this. What I remember is that with 10.9.0 things were OK – or, I didn't hear any dropouts. I believe this may have started with the 10.9.2 update. I'm at 10.9.4 now.

There are no real clues in the console log – I was hoping to see a message about some process starting up right before the audio dropout, but there are none.

This message is already in "tl;dr" territory so I'll just add that I've already tried quite a few things, short of rolling back to 10.9.0, which I'm not sure I could even do. Setting up a fresh account is something I started doing but bailed on because it took me down a rabbit hole of re-authorizing software, and permissions issues with setup files. From looking at the logs, this problem is happening at the kernel level anyway – I'm not sure running from another account would be a viable thing to try. I'll just end with this – I am using an almost identical software setup I used on a 2007 MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo w/10.6.8) with zero issues. A 2-second dropout is not that big a deal when I'm playing a gig at the local club, but I'm doing some touring, playing on big stages in front of quite a few people. I'm disappointed that I may have to resort to playing rental keyboards in that situation.

If anyone has any tips on how to troubleshoot this, I'm all ears. Thanks!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 1:32 AM

You can not move a post and you can not delete it, the forum software does not allow you to.

Update to the current version (10.9.5)

5 replies

Oct 2, 2014 7:05 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the reply. The option to choose a community to post to looks like it's enabled when you edit an already-posted message, that's why I was confused. Most forum software I've seen also gives you a short window of time to delete a message too. Anyway, thanks for the sugg to update to 10.9.5. I will do this soon.

I also started using Activity Monitor to look at CPU and memory usage. I have 8GB of physical ram and it looked like I was using almost all of it ("Memory Used: 7.98 GB). I have a basic understanding of how virtual memory works, however I'm playing samples back in real time and maybe some of these samples were being paged in & out? I went through my setup and found a few larger sample sets that were loaded into ram; I changed them to stream from disk instead and it looks like I've reduced my overall memory footprint a bit. Haven't seen any "clipIfNecessary" messages since then but I would need to play at least 10 trouble-free gigs before feeling like the issue was cured.

Oct 3, 2014 7:14 AM in response to reezekeys

Probably the worst meltdown yet last night at the gig, audio turned to fuzz then dropped out for a good 4-6 seconds. The system log had thousands of "clipIfNecessary messages – adjusting clipped position". There were over 1600 listed, but two were "*** kernel exceeded 500 log message per second limit - remaining messages this second discarded ***", so there were more.

It happened at exactly 10:00:57 PM. The last time was at 11:59:59 PM. There seems to be a pattern – these meltdowns are occurring close to or right on the hour. That leads me to believe there is a system process that's starting up on the hour. Maybe on the gigs where I hear no issues, I'm not actually playing exactly on the hour? I think the next step will be to try and recreate this issue by setting up at home, and playing while watching the clock – making sure I'm producing notes right as the hour changes.

Jul 31, 2015 8:06 PM in response to djjot

I know this thread is old but I've been battling this for months with no resolution. About to move away from Apple, which is a pretty big step but at this point it has been happening with two different audio interfaces, and I can't afford to keep buying/trying new ones and being embarrassed on stage.

Other threads about this problem:

Audio dropouts: "clipIfNecessary" Console messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.