Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Credit Card - Family Sharing

I do not posses a credit card, thus I can not setup my children on Family Sharing through iOS 8.0.2 because of this. Is there a work around or some other way that this can be accomplished? There are very good reasons why I don't have one of these cards is because of the interest rates if you're late on a single payment. I find that a line of credit through my financial institution fits my needs just fine.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 8:14 PM

You can use a debit card too.

21 replies

Oct 2, 2014 12:04 PM in response to jakeycov

As Apple officiale states:

Setting up Family Sharing

When you set up Family Sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards. You can change the billing method on file in your account at any time in your iTunes & App Store account settings.

Family purchases and payments

Maybe there's a problem with Apple and your debit card, feel free to contact Apple.

Oct 2, 2014 12:09 PM in response to bodyxs

It may say that, but that's not how it works.

To set up and use family sharing with a minor you have to have a credit card, not a debit card on file.

If you try you will get the following error message:

Credit Card Required

You currently have a debit card on file. To create an account for a child, you must verify that you are an adult by adding a credit card to your account in iTunes and app store settings.

Oct 17, 2014 7:27 AM in response to bodyxs

I have done this and there was no resolution. Apple expects us to be able to resolve our issues within the allotted 15 minute time allowed to solve a problem. This is non-conducive to resolving issues and honestly not appreciated as this is a feature that I would use if it were only available to those with Debit cards and not Credit Cards only.

Additionally when I quoted what their TOS stated where it states you can use either or they did not know what to say. Now, I am sure that they will simply change their TOS and not allow the use of Debit Cards for family sharing. But hey, it is what it is I guess.

Dec 29, 2014 4:08 AM in response to Controlled Kaoz

I have the same issue, I DO NOT own a credit card(why would I at around 12% APR?).

I called apple, they explained I needed a CC, it got escalated to a higher person, they again explained I needed a CC to add in my young children and use Family Sharing. There is no otters way to start Family Sharing.

So it seems, in order to prove you are a responsible adult, FIRST you have to demonstrate you are financially incompetent by making a bad financial decision and applying for a credit card!

But as soon as you have the CC details entered into Apple you can change them back to a Debit card. We have 11 apple products in this house(good grief), I need family sharing!

Dec 30, 2014 10:58 PM in response to Jameshere

So it seems, in order to prove you are a responsible adult, FIRST you have to demonstrate you are financially incompetent by making a bad financial decision and applying for a credit card!

Just because you have a credit card does not mean you are financially incompetent. I have never paid one cent in finance charges or interest; I simply pay the bill.

Feb 16, 2015 9:17 AM in response to jakeycov

Be advised: "This payment type is not available with Family Sharing enabled."

I’m livid about this.

Reading some of the posts - implies that you can back out a credit card & use debit.

This appears to be absolutely incorrect.

Start Family Sharing - and your credit card is owned: You can never go back to NONE.

Which is not apparent until you’ve pulled the trigger. Only other non-credit card option is PayPal.

It does not appear (to me) to allow iTunes cards as an option in place of the credit entry. I haven’t found a way to kill Family Sharing.

While the idea of a family share is a good one - I find it ludicrous to keep an open credit card on file.

As for justifications & elaborations why someone has, or does not have a credit card - is their own business & I don’t care what APR they pay: The basis of that rant is their own business.

Feb 18, 2015 9:15 AM in response to CroMagnum

CORRECTION TO THE CORRECTION:

People on here who say otherwise are blatantly wrong.

Your credit card REMAINS now, on Family Sharing, for easy access.

I dropped in (redeemed) an iTunes card - and now I have both a credit card listed forever
and an applied iTunes card to one account only. Fortunately, it was to the controlling account. Unless there’s something ominous in:

All family members share the payment method shown below.

Codes you redeem will be applied only to your individual account.

I was too magnanimous in my read of the policy & knowledgebase article, I guess.

There is no “feel good” in this. I am not managing a child’s account.

Credit Card - Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.