Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which external hard drive do i need to transfer my files from my G4 with OS 10.3 to my new iMac?

I have a Mac G4 PowerPC (with: processor speed of 1GHz, 1 MB L3 cache) running OS 10.3.9. I want to transfer my files from the G4 to my iMac (.21.5/2.5QC/2X2GB/500GB/6750M) which is still in the box, for the last 3 years. I believe it is running OS Mountain Lion. All the Mac-compatible external Hard drives i have looked at are for OS 10.5 or 10.7 and above. Are there any external hard drives for sale that will work with my OS 10.3.9 to transfer files to my iMac? If not, how can i do this transfer of files?

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 1:18 AM

An external hard disk drive enclosure with FireWire400/800 ports, with others

may be able to be used; but not as an adapter from one kind of port to another.

The old iMac uses USB, perhaps as slow as 1.1; that won't work with newer

USB3.0; but both the newer and older computers could use FireWire; or maybe

ethernet for computer to computer.

Newest models have Thunderbolt data ports, so adapter cables are needed.

And then you'll need cables to match whatever combination you end up with.

{You may have tried something or another, but not posted back to say if you did.

And this thread is nearly two weeks old, now. I just happened to find it here.}

For what you suggest, you may be able to find a suitable cable, perhaps FireWire

or Ethernet, depending on the ports available and cables still applicable to both.

Does newer iMac have FireWire ports? You could buy a FW400 to FW800 cable where

the ends are different, if the newer machine has FireWire800. [The old one has FW400.]

This would have to be equipped with the protruding connectors so each could make

the connection between each computer's built-in ports. Not all cable sets do this.

User uploaded file

This would be the fastest way to copy content between machines, if FW 800 in newer mac.

Port-powered external hard drives may be under-powered and fail to work, so that is why

I suggest enclosed HDD with its own AC power adapter that will not rely on FW or USB

for the power to run the drive and the electronics inside the enclosure.

example of external enclosures with multiple ports and its own power adapter:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

User uploaded file

This is an image of the lesser model series with fewer ports. The FW800 and USB3.0

are both backward compatible to their older counterparts, FW400 & USB2.0. But even

so the old 1GHz iMac G4 with USB1.1, would not be able to use newer USB3.0; yet

should be able to connect via FireWire400 to FireWire800 by special cable.

If the iMac G4 is still working, that's a plus. Attempting to remove the old IDE/ATA HDD

and access it outside the PowerPC iMacG4, is really a troublesome effort, one to avoid.

But the PPC iMacG4 can be started in Target Disk Mode and accessed as a hard drive

via FireWire cable, too. Then files can be seen as though the old Mac is an external HD.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2014 1:18 AM in response to eeboodah

An external hard disk drive enclosure with FireWire400/800 ports, with others

may be able to be used; but not as an adapter from one kind of port to another.

The old iMac uses USB, perhaps as slow as 1.1; that won't work with newer

USB3.0; but both the newer and older computers could use FireWire; or maybe

ethernet for computer to computer.

Newest models have Thunderbolt data ports, so adapter cables are needed.

And then you'll need cables to match whatever combination you end up with.

{You may have tried something or another, but not posted back to say if you did.

And this thread is nearly two weeks old, now. I just happened to find it here.}

For what you suggest, you may be able to find a suitable cable, perhaps FireWire

or Ethernet, depending on the ports available and cables still applicable to both.

Does newer iMac have FireWire ports? You could buy a FW400 to FW800 cable where

the ends are different, if the newer machine has FireWire800. [The old one has FW400.]

This would have to be equipped with the protruding connectors so each could make

the connection between each computer's built-in ports. Not all cable sets do this.

User uploaded file

This would be the fastest way to copy content between machines, if FW 800 in newer mac.

Port-powered external hard drives may be under-powered and fail to work, so that is why

I suggest enclosed HDD with its own AC power adapter that will not rely on FW or USB

for the power to run the drive and the electronics inside the enclosure.

example of external enclosures with multiple ports and its own power adapter:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

User uploaded file

This is an image of the lesser model series with fewer ports. The FW800 and USB3.0

are both backward compatible to their older counterparts, FW400 & USB2.0. But even

so the old 1GHz iMac G4 with USB1.1, would not be able to use newer USB3.0; yet

should be able to connect via FireWire400 to FireWire800 by special cable.

If the iMac G4 is still working, that's a plus. Attempting to remove the old IDE/ATA HDD

and access it outside the PowerPC iMacG4, is really a troublesome effort, one to avoid.

But the PPC iMacG4 can be started in Target Disk Mode and accessed as a hard drive

via FireWire cable, too. Then files can be seen as though the old Mac is an external HD.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Oct 13, 2014 11:55 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer, thank you for your reply. I am not at all very technically oriented and your info went way over my head, so i will pass this information on to my husband, (who is mostly a PC platform person) who will see if he can figure out if he can do this. My Plan B is to take both computers to the Apple Geniuses at the Apple store and have them do the transfer. Thanks again!

Oct 14, 2014 6:22 AM in response to eeboodah

Before transferring from G4 to Mac pro - I backed up my library to my 2005 IPOD and restored from there -- Also did a backup of selected folders to CD just in case - and had a couple files that did have to be restored from those.

There is also suppose to be a way to hook up the old to the new (I think) and transfer files direct. It may be somewhere in the documentation - on the new mac.

which external hard drive do i need to transfer my files from my G4 with OS 10.3 to my new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.