Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with MacMini and ProLite XB2779QS monitor

Hi,

I am experiencing some problems with my new monitor.o.

I have a MacMini with 2 video outputs (HDMI and MiniDisplay).

Scenario 1: I am connecting with HDMI (Mac) -> HDMI (monitor). This works, but I can only get a resolution of 1920x1080. See http://screencast.rainbowriders.dk/screencast/2014-09-11_1305.png

Scenario 2: I am connecting with MiniDisplay (Mac) -> HDMI (monitor). This works, but I can only get a resolution of 1920x1080

Scenario 3: I am connecting with MiniDisplay (Mac) -> DP (monitor). This doesn't work. It just says "No Signal".

Scenario 4: I am connecting with HDMI (Mac) -> HDMI (monitor). Then boot the computer and connect MiniDisplay (Mac) -> DP (monitor) as well. This works, and I can get a resolution of 2560x1440, but after I restart the computer it just says "No Signal" again.

Scenario 5: I am connecting with MiniDisplay (Mac) -> VGA Adapter -> VGA (monitor). This works, but I can only get a resolution of 2048x1152

Obviously my goal is to be able to run 2560x1440 - also after I reboot my computer.

I really hope that someone can help with this problem, since I am going nuts here :-)

Kind regards,

Anders

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 7:56 AM

Which model Mini?

HDMI only support 1080X1200

Here is specs for the 2012 Mini

Display Support:Dual DisplaysResolution Support:1920x1200*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI display or a DVI display using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapterand 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).

Also see:

Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

That lists what you can get with the different adopter

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2014 7:56 AM in response to andersthingholm

Which model Mini?

HDMI only support 1080X1200

Here is specs for the 2012 Mini

Display Support:Dual DisplaysResolution Support:1920x1200*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI display or a DVI display using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapterand 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).

Also see:

Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

That lists what you can get with the different adopter

Oct 3, 2014 5:02 AM in response to andersthingholm

Basically upir 2011 is same and 2102 MIni

Video Card:Radeon HD 6630MVRAM Type:GDDR5
Details:This model has an AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR5 memory.

Also see: What type of video system is provided by the Aluminum Mac mini models? Which are integrated and which are dedicated? Can the video be upgraded?
Standard VRAM:256 MBMaximum VRAM:256 MB
Display Support:Three DisplaysResolution Support:1920x1200*
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600 (x2)*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and 2560x1600 ontwo Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort displays or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).

This:

Scenario 3: I am connecting with MiniDisplay (Mac) -> DP (monitor). This doesn't work. It just says "No Signal".

Should work. Are you selecting the Mini Displayport input on the monitor

VGA and HDMI will not give you the resolution you want.

The specs

http://www.iiyama.com/us_en/products/prolite-xb2779qs-1/

for your monitor say:

Digital input connectorDVI-D, HDMI (max. 1920x1080), DisplayPort

Do you have a mini displayport to displayport cable?

A dual-link mini displayport to DVI adopter should also work

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=587729&gclid=CPHXmey3kMEC Fadj7AodVCwACQ&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Oct 3, 2014 5:28 AM in response to lllaass

Yes, I am using a thunderbolt / MiniDisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable, but it just says no signal. I have even returned the monitor to the shop and received a new, so I don't think it is the monitor.

I have just tried to connect both cable again (HDMI->HDMI and iniDisplayPort -> DisplayPort) and in this case I can get the resolution I need (when I set monitor input to HDMI), but it doesn't work after I reboot - then it just says "No signal" again.

Mar 20, 2015 4:45 PM in response to andersthingholm

Hi,

Might have a solution for you here, it's working for me.

I had the same problem, my Mac Mini is a mid 2012 model and I got the monitor around autumn last year, mostly because I wanted to see if I could work with the higher resolution without buying a thunderbolt monitor.

Anyway, I gave up after a few weeks, and stuck with hdmi in the end at 1920. I probably visited this post back then looking for the answer.

More recently I got a Macbook too so needed a mini display port to hdmi connector for it. The local PC World only had non-genuine ones in stock, so I got one that has mini display port connection to the Mac, then three sockets - hdmi, display port and dvi.

I find that if I plug in to hdmi, I get 1920. If I plug into display port, I also get 1920. But if I connect it to both the hdmi and the display port at the same time, then choose display port on the monitor, I get 2560. This is permanent, switch it off and on and it's still at 2560.

Downside is when I scale to 1080 HD as a resolution (when my eyes get tired!) I get bad flickering as if the hz is wrong (50 or 60 both look the same). But I can just unplug either of the wires and it reverts to 1920 again so it's not a big problem.

So maybe try one of the cheap three-way adapters and see if that works for you, I think the one I got was around 20GBP.

EDIT should have specified, I'm plugging hdmi and display port both into the dongle to mini display port only, I'm not using the hdmi socket on the mac mini. This also works on my macbook.

Problems with MacMini and ProLite XB2779QS monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.