Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8.0.2 iphone and ipad won't sync yahoo! contacts

Hi,

I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2 on my iphone and ipad and now my yahoo! contacts won't sync. Nothing else has changed on either device so I assume it has something to do with iOS8.0.2.

I have removed the Yahoo! account details from "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" and rebooted my device and then added my Yahoo! account back.

My emails re-appear but my contacts do not.

This behaviour happens on both my ipad and my iphone 5.

Please help me. It is driving my crazy.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 2:04 PM

I have restored my iPhone to factory setting and still have the same problem. This is ridiculous. Thanks Apple for ruinning the one piece of functionality I really need..........

27 replies

Oct 4, 2014 8:06 AM in response to cltsig

I had a lot of problems in exporting my yahoo contacts to icloud as well, as none of the export format of yahoo was supported by icloud. Eventually, I had to move all my contacts to gmail and then from gmail to icloud. I guess its best to keep contacts on icloud only as two way sync between third party and apple doesn't work well most of the times.

Oct 4, 2014 8:10 AM in response to naveen.kalra

I got my Iphone 6 opening day and everything worked. I upgraded to 8.0.2 on the day it came out. Today I checked and my contacts are not getting updated as they previously were (via contacts button in my yahoo email settings). I turned it off, it deleted all contacts, and when I turned it back on - nothing. I then tried the Carddav stuff and nothing. Something is broken somewhere with Yahoo and IOS.

Oct 5, 2014 4:15 PM in response to naveen.kalra

@Naveen

You keep saying that the best solution is to use iCloud, but that is NOT a good solution for those of us who want to keep our old Yahoo, Gmail etc email addresses rather than having to use Apple's equivalent.

I'd rather get a different phone than give up 15 years of Yahoo - not least because I have soooo many problems with Apple products (currently I have to reset my iPhone two or three times a day, my iPad has ground to a halt since 8.0.2 and iTunes Match is so poor that I asked for my money back). Very disappointed in Apple at the moment.

Oct 9, 2014 10:18 PM in response to cltsig

I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 8.0.2 and I lost both Yahoo inbox mail and also Yahoo Contact.

* I am able to fix Contact sync problem*

Apparently for people using second sign-in verification on Yahoo account, the regular password does not work. You have to use a one time password that is generated by Yahoo. These are the steps:

A. Use CardDav Method

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/ios-devices-sln14840.html

1. Tap the Settingsicon on your device's Home screen.
  2. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  3. Tap Add Account.
  4. Tap Other.
  5. Tap Add CardDAV Account under "Contacts."
  6. Enter your:
    • Server (https://carddav.address.yahoo.com)
    • Yahoo ID
    • Password (PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR REGULAR YAHOO PASSWORD!!, PLEASE GO TO STEP B FOR THIS PASSWORD)
    • Account description
  7. Tap Next to complete set up.

It will take about 2 minutes to process then it would give you this window: Failed to process using SSL. Do you want to continue not using SSL?

I clicked continue and then it was success

B. To generate App Password. You have to login to your Yahoo account setting as follow:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-account/generate-one-time-password-sln15241.html

Generating App Passwords

To protect your account, you're required to generate a one-time password, separate from your Yahoo account password, when you use non-Yahoo apps.

Here's how:

1. First activate second sign-in verification on your account to use App Passwords.
  2. From your Account Info page, click App Passwords.
  3. Under "Generate new application password," enter the name of the app that requires a password.
  4. Click Generate Password.
    Tip:
    This isn't a new password for your account. It's a one-time password to validate you're authorizing access to your account from a non-Yahoo app.
  5. Enter the code into the password field of your mobile device.
  6. Click Done to reset the code generator.
    -If you forget the code, you can always generate a new one.

You're now safely connected!

We'll save a list of apps within your "Generate app passwords" page. Also from this page, you can generate a new code or remove permissions.

Hopefully this would help you fix the contact sync problem.

As at this moment I am still not able to get my Yahoo Mail sync to my iOS 8.0.2 Mail App. It was able to get the mail on the other folder, but inbox is EMPTY.

So somehow the inbox folder is totally BROKEN. Anybody can help me with this?

While waiting for the fix, I am temporarily using Yahoo Mail App which you can download it from Apple store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yahoo-mail-free-email-app/id577586159?mt=8

Please help if you can sync Yahoo Mail.

Thank you

Oct 9, 2014 11:19 PM in response to lukasbambang

Well I'll be dipped in $hit, that worked. It works for the carddav connection so good enough for now. Thanks for the help.

One caveat: when I requested the first app password, my Outlook suddenly stopped working. I had to generate an app password for 2 different Outlooks. Be prepared. I **think** once you request an app specific password for once device, it suddenly requires them for any application accessing Yahoo mail, including IOS mail, Carddav for Yahoo, Outlook, Ipad, etc. and it is specific to that particular "app". It's a one time deal though (supposedly) so not the end of the world, but be prepared for a little extra setup.

iOS8.0.2 iphone and ipad won't sync yahoo! contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.