Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BASH vulnerability patch for Snow Leopard?

Is there, or will there be, a "Shellshock" BASH vulnerability patch for Mac OS X v10.6Snow Leopard?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 10:19 AM

5 replies

Oct 2, 2014 2:35 PM in response to neanderthal

The first question would by why do you think you need it. Apple is on record as saying:

The vast majority of OS X users are not at risk to recently reported bash vulnerabilities," an Apple spokesperson told iMore. "Bash, a UNIX command shell and language included in OS X, has a weakness that could allow unauthorized users to remotely gain control of vulnerable systems. With OS X, systems are safe by default and not exposed to remote exploits of bash unless users configure advanced UNIX services.

If you are using these advanced UNIX services then your best bet would be to use this method: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2014/09/bashing-bash-one-more-time-updated.html.

Oct 2, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Philip Wilk

Philip Wilk wrote:

The CUPS print server is used for printer sharing. It uses bash and remote access: a potentially bad combination.

Remote access? Printer sharing? If you want to try to write an exploit that will threaten my printer, I'd be glad to turn my CUPS server and open up my LAN firewall for you, but I really don't see that as a serious threat to my computer.

BASH vulnerability patch for Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.