Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why am I seeing cache.db-wal file on my HD

I can't remember seeing this before - but since yesterday I see cache.db-wal and Cache.db and also a third file Cache.db-shm on my main Hard Drive -- I trashed them twice but the come back!

Any idea what this is? And how to get this to stop?

I'm posting here because a google search brought up an issue with Safari - but if this has nothing to do with Safari let me know.

2010 MacBook Pro running 10.8.5 Mountain Lion with 500 gb SSD - amazingly fast with that SSD! Lots of software, freeware, shareware - but always has been since 1989…

Thanks very much!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Thursday 2 October 2014

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Also Mac SE running 6.0.4-love it!

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 3:12 PM

15 replies

Oct 6, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

OK -- but again, after using a Mac from 1989 with 6.0.4 to 10.8.5 and ready to move to Yosemite (trialed Mavericks but…) -- I've never seen those files suddenly appear on the top level of my HD.

Really appreciate your feedback and will watch this -- perhaps an upgrade to Safari will solve it (or perhaps it's the upgrade that caused this?!)

Steve

Oct 13, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Has no one ever had this issue or similar? Really appreciate some help on why suddenly after 25 years I'm seeing these files cache.db-wal and Cache.db and also a third file Cache.db-shm on my main HD - I don't care if they are buried in some Safari folder -- but don't want them appearing on my main Hard Drive!

And after all these years, why appearing now? Something to do with the Safari 6.2 Update.

Any and all comments appreciated here!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Monday 13 October 2014

10:15 CDT - USA

Oct 13, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

OK I was able to discard Safari 6.2 and install Safari 6.1.6--- but 3 hours later these same files are on my top directory folder: Cache.db Cache.db-shm Cache.db-wal

All the other files with these names for many, many other programs are in Users/myname/Library/Caches ---- why are these 3 files suddenly appearing on my top level HD? Are they really from Safari? Perhaps not! Especially since in the folder Users/myname/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari the 3 files ARE THERE!

So this is becoming something of a mystery--- what program is inserting these 3 files onto my top level HD?

Any suggestions or comments from anyone really appreciated!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Monday 13 October 2014

15:23

Nov 15, 2014 9:34 AM in response to carboncanyon

I have another post on this and the guy Drew Reece has good advise - I just have not had the time to do all he says. By keeping a simple empty folder called cache.db on my top level HD I don't get those 3 files appearing - but it's not a long-term solution because if I remove that folder, within an hour or 2 I have the 3 other files appearing. YUCK!

Here's that post: Why are cache.db and other cache files appearing on my main Hard Drive?

Hopefully that link works and if not, let me know by replying to me. And if you do what Drew says, can you report back here? I will try to do it tomorrow but have been swamped with work and home projects…

Good Luck -- and I am not moving to iOS 8.1 nor Yosemite until a lot of issues have been resolved! Plus I use tons of shareware from DragThing to The Clock to Bartender to TotalFinder and much much more- it works great on Mountain Lion but not 100% sure on Yosemite…

Steve

Saturday 15 November 2014

Nov 15, 2014 9:35 AM in response to only1zatopek

Let me reply to you with the same reply in case you don't see that one:

I have another post on this and the guy Drew Reece has good advise - I just have not had the time to do all he says. By keeping a simple empty folder called cache.db on my top level HD I don't get those 3 files appearing - but it's not a long-term solution because if I remove that folder, within an hour or 2 I have the 3 other files appearing. YUCK!

Here's that post: Why are cache.db and other cache files appearing on my main Hard Drive?

Hopefully that link works and if not, let me know by replying to me. And if you do what Drew says, can you report back here? I will try to do it tomorrow but have been swamped with work and home projects…

Good Luck -- and I am not moving to iOS 8.1 nor Yosemite until a lot of issues have been resolved! Plus I use tons of shareware from DragThing to The Clock to Bartender to TotalFinder and much much more- it works great on Mountain Lion but not 100% sure on Yosemite…

Steve

Saturday 15 November 2014 11:35 WI time

Jan 9, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

Same problem, same situation.

I'm no Unix guru but I can do quite a bit of rudimentary command line stuff in the terminal so I tried this and they're invisible for now.

1. Open Terminal

2. cd /

3. chflags hidden Cache.db <return>

4. Press the UP arrow on your keyboard - the previous command should pop back up (keep pressing UP to continue through all previous commands you entered).

5. Add -wal to the end of the file name.

6. Press the UP arrow on your keyboard and backspace out the -wal and add -shm. Then press <return>

Alternatively, you can just type chflags hidden at the prompt and drag each file from their Finder window to the terminal window and it will do the typing for you. You'll just have to press <return> after each command.

7. To exit Terminal, just type 'exit' (without the quotes) and hit return. You'll get:

[Process completed]

You can then quit terminal. That's a graceful exit.

I don't know if the system will change the flags back to nohidden (the Unix command that undoes what you did above - just repeat the steps with nohidden and you can do it yourself to any file) but they're gone for now. If they become visible (and they shouldn't) I'll try the phony folder trick.

If you've never messed with terminal, this is a good introduction and this stuff may give you a thrilling experience, and the desire to learn more commands. Anything you learn in terminal will eventually come in handy. Now learn the following commancs: ls mv cp (list files, move files copy files) and you've got a small arsenal of handy stuff. Now try ls -l and you'll really start having fun.

Lastly, I'm still on 10.8.5 on 3 Macs and won't "upgrade" until I see rock-solid stability and compatibility.

I'm a late adopter and proud of it. 25 years as a small-company IT manager and never had any trouble with this philosophy! It was almost three years before I switched the company's 30 Macs from OS 9 to OS 10. Jaguar is when I did the switch - after the 2nd or 3rd version came out.

Thanks for the suggestion

Apr 20, 2015 5:07 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

I'm late to the party, but here are my two cents anyway: Those files are not necessarily created by Safari but from any installed app that requests data from the internet. Of course, identifying the guilty app is key to getting rid of the files.

To do so, follow these steps:

1. Open Terminal.app, which is located in the /Applications/Utilities/
  2. In Terminal.app, enter the following command
    sqlite3 ./Cache.db -cmd "SELECT request_key FROM cfurl_cache_response LIMIT 20" -xxx
  3. You will see a list of URLs or internet addresses which were requested by the app that owns this Cache.db. This should help you identify it.
  4. You can safely quit Terminal.app afterwards.

When you successfully identified the app, you can look for an update to it or contact the developer. It is unlikely that it is an Apple app.

why am I seeing cache.db-wal file on my HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.