Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto keeps saying it is importing photos; but does not ever finish.Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?

Iphoto on my Macbook Air keeps saying it is "preparing to import" but never finishes the task. This has not happened before. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix for this error condition?

Gary

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 3:01 PM

25 replies

Oct 3, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad.

I have done this and now have:

1. The original Library - all photos seem to be there

2. A new Library - where I have loaded my new photos from my recent trip to the Northern Territory of Australia.

A problem remains with the original Library: When I open it I can see all the photos; but, when I try to close it (Quit iPhoto) it will not close. I have to force it to close which will not necessarily save any changes I make to that Library. Is there a solution to this - so that I can continue to use the original Library to create albums, etc.?

Again, thanks for your help.

Gary

Oct 3, 2014 5:25 PM in response to GMAC01

Do the following to your original library:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

If the newly rebuild library contains all of your photos (except for the last download) and works OK you can delete the first copy. Now you can download the photos from your trip photos again to the new, rebuild library.

Oct 4, 2014 6:25 AM in response to GMAC01

When I open it I can see all the photos; but, when I try to close it (Quit iPhoto) it will not close. I have to force it to close which will not necessarily save any changes I make to that Library. Is there a solution to this - so that I can continue to use the original Library to create albums, etc.?

Your last import may have contained a bad image file or video that cannot be processed. You could try to export the original photos from the last imported event from your library and then delete this event and empty the trash. Then repair the library again.

If the library is working again after deleting the last event, check each photo and video in a different photo editor if they can be edited, before you import them again.

Oct 4, 2014 8:30 AM in response to GMAC01

That is the downside of this type of rebuild. If all else fails to solve the problem then that is the price you may have to pay. But try all other suggestions first.

But remember, it leaves your current library untouched so you can continue to work on a solution. The rebuild by iPLM may give you an indication of any damaged image files in the library in it's log file after the rebuild is done which could help you remove it from you original library safely.

Iphoto keeps saying it is importing photos; but does not ever finish.Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.