Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I combine an old itune library thats on an external hardrive and a newer library thats on a newer computer into 1 library and keep them on the external hard drive so I won't use up all my memory on my newer laptop

I copied an old iTunes library off my old Toshiba laptop with windows xp and put it on an external hard drive. I have a newer Microsoft surface pro laptop with windows 8.1. I have a small iTunes library on my newer laptop. I want to combine the 2 libraries into 1, add newer podcasts to the combined library daily, but keep it all on my external hard drive, so I don't use all my memory on my surface pro. I have an older ipod classic that I have all my old library on. I love it and don't want to stop using it, but want to be able to add podcasts from my 1 library from time to time. What I usually do is download podcasts for a few weeks then, download them to my ipod. Haven't done any of this in about a year. But want to start getting regular with it again. PS I'm not very computer savy Thanks for any help or advice!

iPod classic (120 GB), Windows 8, older computer is windows xp

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 3:28 PM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2014 9:27 AM in response to Niel

Hey Neil, Thanks so much for the help. I get so confused when it comes to computer stuff. I'm probably making this harder than what it actually is but here goes- Which one do you mean when you say, "drag the other one" to the library in the "open ITunes program window". And when you say open iTunes program window do you mean the one I just launched? Am I dragging the one from the external hard drive into the iTunes on the computer or the one from the computer to the hard drive? And if it's from the external hard drive onto the computer how do I make sure it goes into the icloud and doesn't take up space on my computer? Thanks so much for your info and patience! 🙂. Connie

Oct 4, 2014 9:56 AM in response to 1mistey

This article explains how to open a different library: iTunes: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one. The assumption is that the whole library was copied to the external drive from the old Toshiba laptop, not just the media. If that isn't the case make a new library on the external drive in a folder called \iTunes and move the media inside \iTunes\iTunes Media before adding it to the library.

Once iTunes is using the library on the external drive you can add any content stored on the internal drive to the library by drag & drop or by moving/copying the content into \iTunes\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes. Make sure the option under Edit > Preferences > Advanced to Copy files to the folder iTunes Media when adding to library is selected. Once complete you can delete the original copies on the internal drive.

Should your library contain duplicates after merging see this recent post on deduping.

If there are ratings, playlists, play counts, or content stored on the iPod classic and not located anywhere else then see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

Ideally you should backup your library to a second drive for security. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suggested strategy.

tt2

how do I combine an old itune library thats on an external hardrive and a newer library thats on a newer computer into 1 library and keep them on the external hard drive so I won't use up all my memory on my newer laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.