Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What cause cause iPhone glass to warp and separate from the frame. Is it due to battery heat?

Not sure what is cause, the glass is warped and bowed outward and separating from the frame about two inches along the volume control side of the phone.

I believe this maybe due to the battery, but that is only a guess. Have an appointment with the Genius, hoping for some help, but since my Apple Care just expired 8 days ago on 9/24, I am not very hopeful. Willing to pay the $79 I would have paid but for $269 I might as well wait to till dies.

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 8, iPhone 5 Glass Warped/seperating

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 5:27 PM

The battery is the most likely culprit...see what the genius bar folks say, they are usually very good people and try to be helpful. There was a recall on iPhone 5 models for the battery, do you fall in that group?

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

5 replies

Oct 2, 2014 5:38 PM in response to jbarron4

I noticed this on my iphone 5 too. It was indeed the battery!

How do I know this? I replaced the battery. It was ballooned in its shell, causing the display screen and cover to bulge out away from the case.

The replacement battery being installed, and the iPhone re-assembled, the bulging screen was no longer there.

My iPhone 5 was not covered by the battery replacement according to Apple at the website mentioned above...

What cause cause iPhone glass to warp and separate from the frame. Is it due to battery heat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.