Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt port is not working

Hello everyone

I havent used my mac mini for a while, but i just found that the thunderbolt port is not working. I used a mini display port cable to connect the monitor to the mac through the thunderbolt port, but nothing shows up on the monitor. The HDMI port works fine. Can anyone please help me with some suggestions to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Sazzad

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 6:32 PM

6 replies

Oct 3, 2014 1:12 AM in response to mdhossain12

What model Mini do yo have?

Thunderbolt Ports look like mini display ports and will accept a mini displayport cable.

Thunderbolt cable are used for data and for Thunderbolt monitors.

A mini displayport cable are used for monitors that accept a mini displayport/displayport input.

Does the monitor work on other devices?

What monitor is it?

Oct 3, 2014 1:22 AM in response to lllaass

The mini is late 2012 model. The monitor i have right now cant take mini displayport cable. I had to use a mini displayport to VGA converter cable to run the computer. I also tried mini displayport to HDMI cable, where HDMI end goes in my monitor and that does not work as well. Pretty much anything that involves the mini displayport is not working right now. However, i use the same converters for presentations in school, so they seem fine.

Oct 3, 2014 1:48 AM in response to lllaass

When i mentioned that I had to use a mini displayport to VGA converter cable to run the computer, i meant thats how i attempted to connect the mac mini to the monitor (since the monitor has only VGA and HDMI ports) and it did not work. As i said later, whenever the output goes from the mac through the thunderbolt/mini display port, i am not getting anything on the monitor. My apologies for causing confusion.

Thunderbolt port is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.