Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Trackpad / Keyboard on Windows 7 Installation on mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro

Hello,

Although there is a similar thread regarding this -- this applies to a newly released mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro and the solution posted in the original thread does not work for this newer model.

I am attempting to install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro. (Running Mavericks 10.9.5) I Have both an original Windows 7 Install DVD and a downloaded ISO file as well.

PLEASE NOTE: That because I have need for multiple partitions on the SSD drive, I am not able to use Boot Camp Assistant to do the actual install. I have accomplished this a number of times in the past without any issues during or after the install. I have an MS-DOS(FAT) partition ready to go.

When I restart from the Windows 7 install DVD I get to the "Choose Language" screen and I have no trackpad or keyboard. A wired USB Mouse does not work either

I am not able to create an install USB drive for this model because Boot Camp Assistant gets to the "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" task it gives an error message "Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server" (NOTE: Using Boot Camp Assistant to ONLY "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" as I get the same error message when attempting to do that.

It is my understanding based on the Apple article
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634 that I need to download the driver software directly from Apple with the link they provide. I DID successfully download the Windows support software from Apple following the instructions in that article. However, I am not aware of any way to include that downloaded software when using Boot Camp Assistant to create a USB install drive.

I tried the trick with the USB drive as explained in apple article http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4599 but even with a freshly formatted MS-DOS(FAT) USB drive in the USB port on the left of the MacBook Pro and the Apple USB Optical Drive plugged into the USB port on the right side of the MacBook Pro, I still have no Trackpad or keyboard when I get to the first screen of the Windows installation.

I spent the last two days searching posts here and in general and only end up more baffled than before . . .

I am as positive as possible that the USB drives I am using are USB 2 and NOT USB 3. Although I guess that does not matter if I can't use Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows installer that includes the Windows drivers for the MacBook Pro Hardware . . .

Some of the posts suggest that the Windows drivers from Apple need to be included on a USB install drive created with Boot Camp Assistant. That appears to be impossible at the moment if the Software Update Server does not contain them. I am confused as to why the are available directly from Apple http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1721 but they are not available when using Boot Camp Assistant????

Am I missing something??? Is this just a matter of waiting for Apple to add the necessary drivers to the Software Update server??? (It has only been two months since this MacBook Pro was released)

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a mid-2014 MacBook Pro running Mavericks???

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated . . .

John

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 5:45 AM

26 replies

Oct 3, 2014 6:03 AM in response to John Kauble

1. Using BA, create a USB2 stick using the ISO with the 'Download drivers' unchecked.

2. Create a Bootcamp folder by hand once the USB is built. Put the .zip file and unzip it on the USB. You need at least 4GB (8GB is preferred).

3 You will need BC 5.1.5640 drivers (2013 drivers should work on 2014). The Apple internal links may not be working correctly.

4. EFI Boot of W7 on newer hardware (2013+) has Graphics and Audio issues. If you can, consider W8.1.

This is what you directory structure should look like.

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

First, thanks for the speed reply!!

A couple of clarifications:

In step 1 - Create a USB2 stick using the ISO with the "Download drivers" unchecked"

I am not able to un-check the "Download Drivers" (Actually my version of BCA (5.1.2 build 584) titles it "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple". When I select the "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk", the support software option is checked automatically and grayed out . . . . I

I went ahead and created the install USB stick and below is the result:

User uploaded file

NOTE: that one thing missing from your version is the "boot" folder inside the "efi" folder ????

In your step 2 - "Create a Bootcamp folder by hand once the USB is built. Put the .zip file and unzip it on the USB."

Do you mean create a folder on root the USB stick titled "Bootcamp" and copy the zip file there and unzip it inside the folder I just created?

FYI - I DO have the BC 5.1.5640 drivers downloaded directly from Apple.

Oct 3, 2014 9:59 AM in response to John Kauble

I have W8.1 which has an EFI Boot, hence the difference.

Copy the .zip file to the USB at root level, and unzip it. It should create a Bootcamp folder and put all the drivers in there. In your case, since there is no AutoUnattend.xml, you will have to install Bootcamp drivers by hand after Windows installation using the setup.exe in the Bootcamp folder.

If your "Download drivers" is checked, there should be a Bootcamp folder. Let em check my W7 USB again.

Looks very similar to yours.

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2014 11:23 AM in response to Loner T

Hello again 🙂

Just to clarify; BCA tries to download the drivers but gives the following message:

"Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server"

Which I take to mean that the necessary Windows support drivers for my mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro are not on the Software Update server and therefore can not be added to the USB install drive as it is created. ???? It then stops but seems to have created a USB drive installer with everything EXCEPT the Windows support drivers it was not able to find on the server???

You wrote:

"In your case, since there is no AutoUnattend.xml, you will have to install Bootcamp drivers by hand after Windows installation using the setup.exe in the Bootcamp folder."

Two things:

1 - I can't install Windows period. I need keyboard/trackpad support to install Windows period. When the installer gets to the first screen asking me to select a language, there is no cursor and no trackpad or keyboard support, they are both effectively dead. Plugging in a wired USB mouse does not work either.

2 - The folder that results from un-zipping the 5.1.5640 downloaded directly from Apple looks like this

User uploaded file

It contains three items: "$WinPEDriver$", "AutoUnattend.xml", and "Bootcamp"

Based on the first screen shot you posted, I tried moving all three items to the root directory of the USB install drive and then tried booting form the drive again. I still have NO trackpad or keyboard support in order to make the selections necessary to install Windows.

I was hoping that one of the three items in the folder would give me trackpad/keyboard support during the installation, but alas, that does not seem to be the case.

SOMEHOW, I need to find a way to have a functioning trackpad or mouse and a keyboard during the install process . . . .

Loner T, are you basing this info on your experience with a mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro or a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro????

I ask, because I find a number of possible solution online from several months ago BEFORE the mid-2014 MBP was released. None of which seem to solve the problem for this latest MBP????

Thanks so much for your patience and knowledge so far . . .

John

Oct 3, 2014 12:20 PM in response to John Kauble

1. I have tried copying the Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse drivers to the $WinPEDriver$ directory with mixed success on a 2012 MBP.

2. My experience is based on a 2013 rMBP. You may be able to use an Apple USB Keypad/Mouse to better success.

3. See http://www.macworld.com/article/2460820/macbook-pro-mid-2014-review-minor-update -offers-slightly-better-cpu-performance.html for HW differences between the two machines.

4. If you have access to a 2013 rMBP, I can suggest trying to build the USB on that and working with the USB to see if you can make it install Windows. the rMBP 2014 and rMBP 2013 have the same HW, except some CPU changes. You can also try building the USB at the nearest Apple store, if possible.

5. There is a section in AutoUnattend.xml, which is supposed to install all drivers in $WinPEDriver$ (see this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686316 )

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsWinPE"processorArchitecture="amd64"publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"language="neutral"versionScope="nonSxS"xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<DriverPaths>

<PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="1" wcm:action="add">

<Path>$WinPEDriver$</Path>

</PathAndCredentials>

</DriverPaths>

</component>

Oct 3, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Loner T

Yep, I think the next step is a trip to The Genius Bar, although I suspect they won't talk to me as I am not using BCA to create the Boot Camp partition. I don't see any reason however that it should cause the problem I am experiencing.

I too thought about finding someone with a 2013 rMBP ad try creating the USB install drive that way and see if that gives me trackpad/keyboard support during the install.

Otherwise, I guess I need to hold on and see if anyone else sees this post and has experienced the same issue and found solution.

THANKS Loner T for taking the time to indulge me here 🙂

John

Oct 3, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Loner T

Hello,

I do NOT have any Windows 8.1 media. Is there an ISO available from Microsoft I can try before purchasing a license??? I hate to spend $100 plus for Windows 8 that I am not sure I really want only to have it not install . . . If I was confident it would have trackpad/keyboard support during the install I would give it a try

I do have the Apple USB Super Drive. I tried installing that way and once again had no trackpad or keyboard during the install process.

As suggested elsewhere, I also used Disk Utility to create a disk image of the install DVD and changed the extension from ".dmg" to ".iso" and tried using that as the ISO for BCA to create a USB installer. It boot fine but, again, no trackpad or keyboard.

I did run across a post on the web from someone with a 2014 rMBP that did seem to be able to install 8.1 . . . maybe it is worth a try??? (I just have to try and find that post again and see if I can contact the to confirm . . . )

Is there any reason to suspect that NOT using BCA to create a BOOTCAMP partition is causing this issue??? I created the destination partition with Disk Utility when I first setup the SSD drive for several partitions and formatted it as MS-DOS(FAT). In the past that worked fine and the Windows installer would then require me to reformat it as NTFS and proceed.

Oct 3, 2014 4:02 PM in response to John Kauble

If you created a MSDOS partition AND your are attempting a W7 install, did you create the equivalent MBR entry?

Please post the output of the following commands from OS X Terminal (I assume you have assigned disk in your Mac). Also when you attempt an install it is better to have only the USB, KVM and the internal drive.

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Please do not spend any money on 8.1 if you need W7 64-bit. Are you allowed to download "trial" of W8.1 ISO without any financial outlay?

Oct 4, 2014 9:57 AM in response to Loner T

Ahh yes . . . I know remember researching that back in 2012 when I first did this very thing with a 2011 MBP running Lion. I don't recall however, having to do anything other than format the partition as MS-DOS(FAT) and letting the Windows installer reformat it as NTFS, but that was 2 years ago . . .

Anyway here are the results you asked for:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2014 1:06 PM in response to John Kauble

Something is really broken badly. Can you post the output of diskutil list?

1. Your GPT#2 and MBR#2 are identical in start/size and are the designated OS X (HFS+) based on the long string (called a PartitionTypeGUID) after the "GPT Part" string.

2. Your GPT#3 and MBR#3 are identical and the TypeGUID indicates that is a the Recovery HD.

3. Your GPT#4 and MBR#4 are identical and are the designated Bootcamp partition.

GPT#5 through 8 are are all HFS+ with 139+GB with 128MB gaps. GPT#9 is also HFS+ with a 185+GB, and roughly a 128MB gap.

Have these partitions been manually created? They can cause problems.

Usually in a Bootcamp configuration in a traditional way, has 4 partitions on GPT and 4 in MBR. Windows uses MBR and OS X uses GPT, they are supposed to stay in sync (but they rarely do because of human intervention, resizing without syncing them, DU being used to manipulate one side forgetting the other, etc.).

In 2013+ Macs and using Windows 8.1+ a clean non-traditional installation using EFI boot is possible. It works very well (better than the fragile traditional implementation). W7 32-bit/64-bit have issues with EFI support and Macs where Graphics/Audio/HID drivers are concerned. Workarounds are not for the faint of the heart, because some extreme cases require PCI register manipulation.

I would recommend either a traditional W7 64-bit or a W8.1 64-bit implementation as the two most stable ones (I am excluding Vista and WXP because of lack of support from MS/Apple).

To make the traditional method work, I would recommend deleting everything beyond GPT#4 including GPT#4 itself (via BA) and starting with a clean slate with a drive which has only visible partition being OS X, and two hidden ones Recovery HD and EFI. If BA has an issue with 2014 links, my recommendation is to build a bootable USB on a 2013 rMBP (ISO and BC drivers) and using that on 2014 rMBP.

Oct 4, 2014 1:44 PM in response to Loner T

Hello,

I did manually partition the drive.

I followed the same procedure I did back in 2012 with a 2011 Unibody MBP running 10.7.3. I created several partitions making sure that the one I intended to use for Boot Camp was no further down the list than slice 3 so that it will become slice 4 after installing Mavericks and the the added Recovery partition. I know that the Windows 7 installer will only allow installation on the first four partitions. As I say I did this back in 2012 and have been running that 2011 MBP with the multiple partitions and and a BOOTCAMP partition without a single problem . . . . I know not to mess with partitions once operating systems are installed . . .

I think I will have put this project on hold for the moment. Work is about to get very busy and won't have a lot of additional time to research this too much further at the moment.

By the way, for what it's worth, I have been running 10.9.5 with these existing partitions for a little over a week and have thus far not experienced any known problems. Are you suggesting that the partition table is so broken that I should not count on things continuing to run smoothly Mavericks-wise???

When I have some more down time I will return to trying to accomplish this. Hopefully I can find you here then.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me figure this out. I will continue researching this with whatever free time I have and post back here with questions as they come up.

John

Oct 4, 2014 2:25 PM in response to John Kauble

As long as no other tools touch partitioning, or there is no human intervention, it should work. The current partitioning is not what is causing problems, but any future Software update can cause issues with such a fragile setup. As long as you keep it this way, it will work.

The BA issue (and the installer issues is related to not being able to integrate the BC drivers) into the USB. I do not have enough space in my Dropbox to build you a W7+BC image for you to try. When you are ready to tackle it again, post back here, and this thread can continue.

Oct 4, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Loner T

I am aware that this setup is considered fragile. Perhaps even more fragile with Mavericks than with Lion??? My research back in 2012 led me to believe that the Windows(BOOTCAMP) partition was the most likely to become un-bootable. I can live with that as long as Mavericks is still relatively safe with this setup.

Any thoughts about that??

The Dropbox idea is not a bad one. I believe that I have plenty of room to give that a try at some point.

BUT . . .

First, let me ask this. I have an Windows ISO file I downloaded but I need to go back and confirm where it came from and if it is Windows 7 or Windows 7 Professional . . . I ALSO have an ISO file that I created from my existing Windows 7 Professional 64-bit install disk based on instructions I found online.

It involved using DU to create a disk image and then simply changing the extension from .dmg to .iso. Does this sound legitimate to you???

Which version of Windows 7 do you have an ISO file? If my license key is for 7 Professional do I need that specific ISO??

John

Oct 4, 2014 4:26 PM in response to John Kauble

Mavericks does preserve your Bootcamp, but in some of my tests, a missing Recovery HD causes issues for Mavericks upgrade/install. As long as you have a "standard" OS to start with, upgrades should preserve it. I have seen a couple of cases in Discussions that I have assisted with, which were a result of Mavericks upgrade.

I have a W7 Pro 64-bit Enterprise ISO, which I cannot use because of volume licensing restrictions. I would need your retail version (they prompt for a 25-character license key), which I can use to build a USB and put it back in the Dropbox. The DU route using a DVD as a source and a USB as a destination works. Some issues do come up because of USB2 vs USB3 type devices, in most cases, it works.

There are differences between Enterprise and Retail versions. If you bought a license for W7 Pro from MS Online Store, it should allow you to download the corresponding media and build a DVD or a USB, as you choose.

I have backed up my Bootcamp installation (via Winclone). I will delete it and test. I can reproduce your specific issue consistently, if I put in the W7 USB and use Alt key, there is no keyboard/mouse, but video works. Coming through BA, the CSM-BIOS layer and the correct NVRAM settings are in place for the USB to work. W7 DVDs are not as independent as say W8.1 which also have EFI boot. The EFI layer has a discovery mechanism and can support many more devices compared to W7 DVD.

No Trackpad / Keyboard on Windows 7 Installation on mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.