Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Health app for iPad (and Personal Health Record)

Is the Apple Health App only for exercising and doing physical activities ... or ... will it be for keeping one's "Personal Health Record" on your iOS device?

I would hope that Apple would have their Health app for keeping records like doctors' visits, health records, lab results, hospital stays, doctor lists, reminders for appointments, keeping weight data over the long term, BMI, blood pressure and so on. All this kind of stuff is very well suited to be done on the iPad and I was looking for the Apple Health app (for the iPad) to see if Apple incorporated this "full functionality" for "health" for people to use. I just can't find the Health app to use on the iPad.

I've already downloaded several apps separate from Apple which are supposed to keep records and doctors visits and lab results and blood pressure ... etc, and etc ... but I haven't found them to be completely adequate. No one is able to provide a fully functional and complete health record and all its functionality (including x-rays and lab results and analysis) for iOS devices.

I suppose that the field is "too new" for the iOS devices to be fully functional yet ... but I would hope that Apple would "get there" first, with its "Health app".

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 9:57 AM

Currently the Health app is iPhone/iPod only. Maybe that will change, maybe not. There are lots of different items in "vitals". It will be up to third party developers to create hardware and/or apps that use HealthKit to sync information to Health. So far, there are only a handful of apps that do.

Lots of good ideas. Submit your feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2014 9:57 AM in response to Star Traveler

Currently the Health app is iPhone/iPod only. Maybe that will change, maybe not. There are lots of different items in "vitals". It will be up to third party developers to create hardware and/or apps that use HealthKit to sync information to Health. So far, there are only a handful of apps that do.

Lots of good ideas. Submit your feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Mar 29, 2015 8:35 AM in response to kenpenn

kenpenn wrote:

A iphone is not an effective platform to collect Swimming data for obvious reasons.

If you mean that an iPhone is not an effective platform for collecting swimming data because you don't have it on you when you swim, I'd say an iPad is also not an effective platform for collecting Swimming data, either. Do you swim with your iPad?

You can use your Misfit and Moov with an iPhone, too. It is up to the makers of those hardware devices to decide if and what they want to sync with Health.

Mar 29, 2015 8:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Actually just want the app to run on the iPad as a system of record. Moov and MisFit collect the data, I want to store that data on my iPad, and share that with Health. Not looking for any HW enablement other than the ability to load the app on an iPad.

My iphones, that get tossed every 24-36 months, have 16GB of memory, while my iPad has 128GB, using it as an alternative to a laptop.

Perhaps Apple doesn't want us to use the iPAD as a laptop alternative and I should keep my health data on my...laptop....

Very frustrating...

PS: both devices are enabled as a data source into the Health App.

Mar 29, 2015 8:59 AM in response to kenpenn

kenpenn wrote:

My iphones, that get tossed every 24-36 months, have 16GB of memory,

Which is no reason you can't still store your Health data on it. The Health data can be transferred from one phone to the next if you use an encrypted back up.

Apple appears to have been looking at the iPhone as a collector of data and Health as the front end to that as well as a repository of information collected from other sources. As an iPad currently can't collect the data the way an iPhone does, the function of the Health app would be slightly different than on an iPhone. I'm not suggesting there is anything "wrong" with how you would like to use Health, only that it appears to be a bit different than how Apple thinks Health should be used. Submit feedback to Apple letting them know what you'd like to see.

Personally, I really find the Health app only useful as a transfer conduit at this time. I find myself rarely looking at the dashboard. Perhaps my opinion will change with the release of the Apple Watch.

Mar 29, 2015 9:53 AM in response to kenpenn

kenpenn wrote:

Very cool. My last issue is that with 16GB, I have to delete pictures to take pictures....I'm deleting sloppy apps like Waze, Yelp, and Zillow, that don't clean up after themselves and chew up lots of 'documents and data' space, then reloading them....

I'll get to Apple.

No way I'd buy a 16 gig iPhone ever again. My 5S was a 32 and that was barely enough. I was ecstatic when Apple switched to 64 gig for the same price point.

Apple Health app for iPad (and Personal Health Record)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.