Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phone randomly makes siri beep

I don't know what I'm doing to trigger it, so I can't purposely trigger it. But a couple times a day, my phone will randomly make the beep beep sound that siri makes when you hold down the home button. I've usually just put it down or locked the screen, but it isn't because I'm pressing the home button. I've tried turning the volume of siri down, but it still does it. Anyone know if it's a setting I've selected or just a bug.

I have "hey siri" turned off, but this shouldn't matter because this doesn't happen when my phone is plugged in.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 7:59 AM

21 replies

Mar 26, 2015 8:08 PM in response to kimsterrr3

im also having that problem. I didn't think it would be a big deal when I first heard it happen but it seems to occur more and more over time. It's rather annoying. I try to send a quick text and the noise makes it very obvious. It seems to happen whenever I'm putting my phone screen down. Most of the time it is when I'm sending a Text. I hope this thing can be fixed easily, and we don't have defected phones!

Mar 31, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Gabbi424

I've been trying to pay more attention to when this happens, and it seems to happen in the following situation.

1. I have just finished sending a text message (the message may still even be "in transit").
  2. I am turning the phone over to either place it in my pocket or set it face down.
  3. I am hitting the sleep/wake button to lock the phone and dim the screen.

I'm not positive on #3, but for the past week or so, every time it has happened I have been using the sleep/wake button. Do you guys typically use this to lock your phone while you are putting it in your pocket?

Jun 25, 2015 6:08 AM in response to kimsterrr3

Same problem here on my iPhone 6+ iOS 8.3. It makes me want to throw the phone through the wall because it happens at the most inopportune time... like in a meeting! It's so loud also. It always happens after I sent a text or iMessage and I set it down on the desk. I'm 99.9% sure I'm not hitting the home button or anything. I mean it would have to be held down anyway. That's exactly what the sound is.

Jun 25, 2015 6:15 AM in response to deggie

That's the thing. I actually NEVER turn the ringer or have the switch on. I always rely on vibrate. Frankly I think cell phone ringers are obnoxious in public. As I say this a client in my meeting just had his phone ring and interrupted it. :-D

But the mute thing is even more of a reason why this is truly bizarre.

Jun 25, 2015 6:25 AM in response to deggie

Yes was just thinking about the appointment. I've done this backup/restore on like more than half a dozen phones. I should go back to restoring with the Mac backup. It's been awhile. Usually the thing that takes the longest is the app restore. Anyway, I apologize for straying off topic. I hope others find a solution to the issue without having to get a new phone.

phone randomly makes siri beep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.