Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos missing from iCloud Backup

Hi, I just received my iPhone 6. I made an iCloud backup on my iPhone 5 and set it to factory settings. When I restored the iPhone 6 to the iCloud Backup of my 5 everything copied as should except for my photos. There were a lot of photos on my 5 that I can't miss. What did I do wrong? My friend didn't have this problem when he did the same steps on his iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S. (Both devices run iOS 8.0.2)

Please help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 9:55 AM

6 replies

Oct 3, 2014 10:31 AM in response to RijkvanZanten

Did you ever import those photos to your computer?

Also, where are you looking for them on iOS 8? They won't show up in Recently Added if they are older than 30 days old. Tap on Photos, then tap on a photo to go to Collections, then tap on a photo to go to Moments and scroll to the bottom of the screen. Do you see them there?

Cheers,

GB

Oct 3, 2014 10:52 AM in response to gail from maine

No I didn't. Now I wished I did though.

The Photo's tab shows: "No photo's or video's""You can take photo's and video's with the camera or sync them with your iPhone in iTunes." (Translated from Dutch)

I noticed that the backup file that my iPhone 5 made was 799 MB. This is way less than the 2,7GB backup file that my friends iPhone makes, so I guess the phone didn't upload the photo's to the backup file..

Lesson learned: back up everything in multiple locations as often as you can

Greatings,

Rich

Oct 3, 2014 4:03 PM in response to RijkvanZanten

Sorry Rich 😟

You might want to check your Backup settings as well, and make sure that the Photo Library is turned on under Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage>click on your Device, and you will see the list of items that are checked to be backed up. If Photo Library is not turned on, you want to turn it on.

For importing in the future, you can either import to your computer or upload them to a cloud storage like Dropbox:

PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC

Once they have been imported to a computer, they can be selectively sync'd back via iTunes:

SYNCING PHOTOS VIA ITUNES

Best of luck, and sorry about your photos....

GB

Jul 7, 2015 11:00 PM in response to RijkvanZanten

How to Recover Deleted Photos from iPhone?

Method 1: Recover Deleted iPhone Photos via iTunes

You can recover deleted photos from iPhone if you've a very recent iTunes backup.

1. Connect your iPhone to PC using the provided USB cable and run iTunes. Then click the "Device" tab".

2. Right-click on the iPhone that's connected and choose "Restore from Backup".

3. iTunes displays your iPhone name as well as the most recent backup available. Click "Restore" to return contacts to your iPhone.

Method 2: Recover Deleted Photos from iPhone Directly

Step 1. Connect your iPhone to the computer, launch FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery tool.

Step 2. Start to scan iPhone and find out the deleted contacts

Step 3. Preview and restore iPhone contacts

After the scanning, you can preview all found data before recovery. Choose "Contacts" to preview, make it and click "Recover", you can save on all the contacts on your computer with one click.

Choose the method you like to recover photo from iPhone. Hope it will be useful.

Photos missing from iCloud Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.