Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Various connectivity issues

We've had sketchy wifi for years (combination of the configuration of our house and the density of wifi networks in our area) and finally decided that what we needed to do was attach our Airport Express to the TWC modem/router with an ethernet cable and create what I gather is called a roaming network. We have the same network name and password on both devices. Well, its a tad more complicated than that since the TWC thing has both 2,4 and 5 ghz networks...so there are multiple networks.. but the one I connect to is the 2,4 ghz one that has the same name on both devices.

We also have an HP Photosmart 7520 printer, that is (or rather was) connected to that network which we could print from. It now won't connect and the 'Wireless Network Test Results' printout says MAC filtering may be enabled and we need to enter the MAC address of the printer. It isn't enabled. I tried enabling it so I could enter that MAC address, but got the same message. So that's one problem.

At first Mail worked fine, but now it won't download Gmail-- this started yesterday and is probably unrelated to the printer issue... but I mention it here in case it isn't. I can get Gmail fine on an iPad, phone or via the web. So it's not that my computer isn't connecting. It seems to sneak through now and then as well, but not consistently and mostly the little wheels just keep churning around....

And finally, when I try to access this forum via Chrome, I get a blank page. 😕 I can access via Safari though.

Any helpful souls out there that can help to make this go?

Airport Express - 2nd generation, about a year old

TWC router- Arris

Computer- mid 2009 MacBook Pro laptop running Snow Lion (10.6.8)

Printer -- HP Photosmart 7520

Thanks!
marie

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 11:41 AM

Things can get mighty tricky when you try to make routers from two different manufacturers produce the same wireless network signal and work as "one" network.

In order for the AirPort Express to have a chance to work correctly with the TWC Arris router the following conditions must be met.

1) Both the Arris and the AirPort must use the exact same wireless network name and password. Pretty simple.

2) Both the Arris and AirPort must use the exact same wireless security settings. Maybe not so simple.

3) The AirPort Express is configured to "create a wireless network"......not "extend a wireless network" as you might think. Many users make this mistake.

4) The AirPort Express is configured to operate in Bridge Mode. Many users neglect this important configuration setting when they add the Express to another router.

Even when you do everything right in theory....sometimes the network just does not behave as "one".....likely because the routers are from different manufacturers.

Well, its a tad more complicated than that since the TWC thing has both 2,4 and 5 ghz networks

So too does the AirPort have both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, so things might be yet even more complicated.

I doubt that I can help on the printer, and do not have Chrome to test, but can help with the details that I mentioned above. Get those right, and sometimes the other problems heal themselves....and sometimes not.

If you want to check some settings....I am assuming that you still have OS X (10.6.8) installed on your Mac.....please post back.

In addition, it would help if you could find out what type of wireless security the TWC Arris router is using.....since that is a critical element here.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2014 11:41 AM in response to imcarmel

Things can get mighty tricky when you try to make routers from two different manufacturers produce the same wireless network signal and work as "one" network.

In order for the AirPort Express to have a chance to work correctly with the TWC Arris router the following conditions must be met.

1) Both the Arris and the AirPort must use the exact same wireless network name and password. Pretty simple.

2) Both the Arris and AirPort must use the exact same wireless security settings. Maybe not so simple.

3) The AirPort Express is configured to "create a wireless network"......not "extend a wireless network" as you might think. Many users make this mistake.

4) The AirPort Express is configured to operate in Bridge Mode. Many users neglect this important configuration setting when they add the Express to another router.

Even when you do everything right in theory....sometimes the network just does not behave as "one".....likely because the routers are from different manufacturers.

Well, its a tad more complicated than that since the TWC thing has both 2,4 and 5 ghz networks

So too does the AirPort have both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, so things might be yet even more complicated.

I doubt that I can help on the printer, and do not have Chrome to test, but can help with the details that I mentioned above. Get those right, and sometimes the other problems heal themselves....and sometimes not.

If you want to check some settings....I am assuming that you still have OS X (10.6.8) installed on your Mac.....please post back.

In addition, it would help if you could find out what type of wireless security the TWC Arris router is using.....since that is a critical element here.

Oct 3, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

Things can get mighty tricky when you try to mak

Bob Timmons wrote:

e routers from two different manufacturers produce the same wireless network signal and work as "one" network.

Oct 3, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the reply

1-- check

2-- that's something I don't know and I'm not sure how to check. A call to TWC's tech support? They mostly put you on hold and can't seem to do much. I've spent hours on the phone with them with no results. But I can try. Do you know another way?

3-- check. Yes, figured that one out-- it was confusing.

4-- check.

I'd like to double check #3 and #4 but here's another problem-- when I open the Airport Utility, it at first won't see the AE. If I leave it open long enough it usually shows up but it can take quite a while.

marie

Oct 3, 2014 12:17 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry.. I thought I answered .....

I don't need help with the router settings.. I don't think. But as I mentioned I can't check those right now, the Airport Utility takes a long time to find the AE (same room). But my memory is that those were the settings I used.

Yes I am using 10.6.8

And I don't know how to find out what the security settings on the Arris are, do you know how to find out?

Thanks for your help.

marie

Oct 3, 2014 12:33 PM in response to imcarmel

Check the documentation that came with the Arris router to see if it indicates what type of wireless security setting the router is using. There may be a label on the bottom of the device with that information as well.

If you cannot find anything, power off the AirPort Express so that the only wireless signal is coming from the Arris router.

Connect to the network using your Mac

Hold down the option key while you click on the AirPort icon at the top of the Mac's screen, and look for the setting for Security. Post back with that info.

The icon looks like this: User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2014 12:47 PM in response to imcarmel

WPA2--PSK--AES is the same as WPA2 Personal.

And I'll have to wait for the Airport Utility to find the AE.. that can take a long time.

No way that this should be the case. If the settings are correct, and the AirPort is operating correctly, it will appear as soon as you open AirPort Utility.

It might be a good idea to double check the settings on the AirPort again. Better yet might be reset it back to factory defaults and start from scratch again.

Oct 3, 2014 1:45 PM in response to Bob Timmons

The AE has been slow to show up in the Airport Utility since we set up the roaming network. For a brief shining moment this morning it was showing up right away, and that was during the time when Mail and GMail were at odds with each other. Right now I've left it open for an hour and it hasn't surfaced, although I have full wifi and it does show up in my iPhone version of Airport Utility, so I know it's there. I just figured it was my old software being cranky. Makes it hard to check settings tho.

Thanks for clarifying the WPA settings. I used this article to set it up: Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n)

but not after doing it wrong first by guessing.

So when it reappears in the Utility I'll do the reset, I'm virtually certain my setting are right.

If that doesn't work we might disable the wifi on the Arris and put an Apple Extreme there instead, that seems like the next step. Probably a better router anyway.

Thanks for you help.

marie

Oct 3, 2014 2:11 PM in response to imcarmel

The AirPort can very easily slip out of Bridge Mode if you are making any other changes using AirPort Utility since the settings are interactive. You think you have something right.....but another setting changes it....and you may not know.

So, it would be a good idea to open up AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort and click Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab below the row of icons and make sure that the setting for Wireless Mode is Create a Wireless Network

Wireless Security would be WPA2 Personal

Channel set to Automatic

Enter the wireless password and verify again

Click the Internet icon at the top of the window

Click the Internet Connection tab just below the icons

Make sure that the setting for Connection Sharing is "Off (Bridge Mode)"

Click Update to save any changes

The AirPort should snap to attention anytime that you open AirPort Utility. Something is wrong otherwise, and more troubleshooting.....like checking the WAN port on the Express, replacing an Ethernet cable, etc. will need to be done.

Various connectivity issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.