Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update: Printer prints just outline characters!

After installation of the latest printer update my printer prints everything in outline characters. Same problem for my co-workers. Any solution Apple?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Printer Update

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 11:48 AM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2014 10:11 AM in response to Heye42

Do you have Time Machine activated? If so go to the HD/Library/Printers folder and select the folder titled "hp". Enter Time Machine and go back in time to just prior to your running the printer updater. Select the hp folder and restore.

When the restore is done reboot and try again.

Note: in the future I suggest you don't run the printer updaters unless you're having problems with the printer. As the old saying goes, it it ain't broke don't fixe it.

User uploaded file

Oct 12, 2014 4:36 AM in response to Old Toad

I have had problems since the HP software update which happened automatically on 6 October. I did not realise what it had done at the time.

I have an iMac and HP laser jet 1320. Since last week, I found that many pdf files would not print - the printer light would flash for a while, it looked as though it would print, then it just stopped flashing and it seemed to think that it printed something when it hadn't.

I spent a few hours of trying to diagnose the problem, finding that some programmes still printed OK, or, if I asked for 2 copies of a pdf, it would print 1 copy, or if I asked for printing of pages 1 to 4 of a pdf, it would print pages 1 to 3 only. It seemed to be just that it would not print the final page of a print job from a pdf.

I reinstalled all the HP printer drivers from scratch. I repaired permissions. All to no avail.

Then I did what was suggested here: I went back with Time Machine and replaced the whole HP folder in the library/printers; did a restart.

Hey presto, everything (touch wood) is now fine.

Clearly there is a glitch somewhere in the HP update from Apple.

Software Update: Printer prints just outline characters!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.