Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing Podcast episodes sequentially (iPod Classic 160Gb)

I listen to various podcasts on my 160Gb iPod (7th Gen).

Each podcast title has mulitlple episodes.

For the last year or so, I could listen to any one podcast episode and it would then automatically move on to the next episode in the list (actually this means listennng in reverse date order, but that's not the issue.)

The issue is something has changed recently - either something I've done or possibly the latest iTunes update (11.4.0.18 on Windows 7) or iPod software update (2.0.5 PC) - which means that now, once the end of the episode is reached, it stops there instead of automatically moving on to the next episiode listed under podcast title.

So far, I've had no luck searching settings on the iPod or in iTunes to revert the playing of podcasts episodes back so that it automatically plays the complete list.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

iPod classic, Windows 7, podcasts

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 2:44 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2014 3:41 PM in response to Hestvika

Just to add a bit more detail.

When listening to a podcast episode on the ipod, the ipod display shows the podcast and episode name with subtitle indicating the track (episode) number and the total number of tracks int he podcast.

Previously, the subtitle would say something like "Track 5 of 16".

This meant I could press the "next" or "previous" button on the iPod dial to move on to the next or previous episode as desired.

Now, regardless of which track/episode I select, the subtitle is "Track 1 of 1" which of course means that pressing the dial buttons does precisely nothing.

Oct 4, 2014 11:04 AM in response to Hestvika

1 of 1 tells me that you have shuffle turned on.

Podcasts are set (by iTunes as they are downloaded) to Skip when shuffling. So if your iPod is in Shuffle mode then at the end of any Podcast the iPod will stop because every other episode is set to skip when shuffling.

To play the Podcast episodes in correct order try tt2's tip of putting them into a Playlist, in the order that you want to listen to them.

Apr 30, 2015 12:50 AM in response to nbhms

nbhms wrote:

I'm having the same issue, but shuffle is turned off. I've tried turning shuffle on and back off, resetting the ipod classic, etc, no luck. Any time I play any podcast, it shows as "1 of 1" no matter how many podcasts are in the subscription.

To ensure that shuffle is turned off, make sure that the shuffle icon (shown below)...

User uploaded file

... is not displayed in the top right corner of the iPod's display.

Having turned off the shuffle feature you need to re-start the Podcast episode. Simply turning it off while an episode is playing will not make any difference.

So, turn off shuffle before starting to play a Podcast.

Apr 30, 2015 4:57 AM in response to the fiend

I've verified shuffle is off, I've restarted the podcast with shuffle off, I've tried other podcast episodes, I've tried playing music first and then trying other podcasts, reboots, etc. And to be clear, shuffle wasn't turned on when the problem started, but I tried turning it on and back off, just to see if it would make a difference.

I built a static playlist for the podcast series due to the iPod Classic issue where it plays episodes out of order (newest first), and if I use that playlist, all the podcasts play sequentially in order ("1 of 123" etc displayed). But if I go play the same podcast from the "Podcast" section, it displays "1 of 1" and shuts off after the episode finishes.

Apr 30, 2015 10:24 AM in response to nbhms

nbhms wrote:

I built a static playlist for the podcast series due to the iPod Classic issue where it plays episodes out of order (newest first), and if I use that playlist, all the podcasts play sequentially in order ("1 of 123" etc displayed). But if I go play the same podcast from the "Podcast" section, it displays "1 of 1" and shuts off after the episode finishes.

Is this on an iPod Classic, or another model of iPod?

If it's on a Classic, then the only thing I can think of that would cause the iPod to show 1 of 1 in the display is either:

• shuffle is on (as discussed)
  • you have drilled down into a menu with only one Podcast episode.

Playing Podcast episodes sequentially (iPod Classic 160Gb)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.