Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing music to apple tv 1st gen stops after a few songs

I am trying to sync my music to Apple TV 1st gen but it takes forever and only copies a few songs.

Everything worked fine, but I added more music to my library and now I cannot sync.

Boths Apple TV and iTunes are up to date.

I have tried everything, reseting Apple TV to factory defaults. reconnecting to my library, everything was erased from my Apple TV and now it's empty of music and I caanot sync my library.

I tried to connect it by ethernet instead of wireless and same problem.

I disabled home sharing, and I disabled streming from another computer, consolodated my library and still tha same problem.

IIf I select in iTunes to sync pictures and music, it synchronizes pictures first, but when it starts with music, it ahngs after a few songs and sometimes after the first song.

What else can I do.

Apple TV, Windows 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 6:14 PM

8 replies

Oct 4, 2014 5:00 PM in response to Rudegar

Thank you for your reply.

I already tried with an ethernet cable and same thing happens.

What I found out is that switching to personalized sync insted of automatic sync, happens to sync some more songs.

At this time I select only one play list and usually it synchronizes ok. After that one I add another play list and if there are less that 50 songs in the play list, than it syncs ok. Sometimes it stops syncing and then I change the setting, i.e. I select or deselect the sync videos option and then it starts syncing the rest of the play list. Only that way I can sync my songs, but it takes a lon long time.

Could this a problem with buffers or timing?

Oct 13, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Dacidqc

I have found a solution!!!

I am running the latest iTunes on Windows 7. I have reset my 1st Gen Apple TV to factory settings - but that didn't help.

I am connected via ethernet.

I have 9,000 songs to sync and it stopped every minute or so and had to be restarted.

Start the sync and once the copy count starts moving, select Edit/Preferences and leave the preferences dialog open.

That's all you need to do!

Such a simple solution to lots of angst.

Dec 1, 2016 7:07 AM in response to graham.clarke

Thanks so much for posting this solution, which solved my issue. I had this exact problem with my 1st Gen Apple TV too. My problem started when I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The software engineer in me wonders what in the world the Preferences dialog has to do with syncing!? I agree that it's a simple solution and in addition, it seems quite unexpected that this would solve the problem. Thanks.

syncing music to apple tv 1st gen stops after a few songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.