Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Screen Goes Black Without Reason

My 27-inch iMac (late 2009) screen randomly goes black. The apps all continue to run with sound, etc. still functioning.

Two actions will restore the screen ... but sometimes only for a few seconds:

- putting the iMac to sleep using the power button on the back and then waking it up

- moving the cursor to the corner and then swiping back and forth several times

Restarting the computer does not seem to effect the problem.

If my screen brightness is low (50%) it happens much less, which makes me think it might be the video card overheating?

It has been getting progressively worse over the last two months.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 9:01 PM

I too have wrestled with this issue...what I have done is all the SMC and PRAM etc...but then I decided to pull plug out....put back in socket push power button at same time quick..and hold power for 20 seconds or so...press power again..the fans should really be loud and fast now....let it run..even if screen is black with sound...wait few mins...unplug ..attach a mini display port to thunderbolt slot or display slot on back...attach other end to tv or whatever attachment you have..I use an HDMI tv...) (the mini display cord can be dvi.. vga etc..just depends which attachment for the second monitor you buy) ..then I turn Imac back on and wait to see if it comes back on..if not I do the command option R and P sequence once more then start computer from off again...some how..the mini display port cord on second monitor seems to awake the screen on Imac no idea why but maybe video card is getting pooched..and somehow signal helps..If this happens again...Im gonna try another video card to see if it happens again and see if it keeps happening...hope this may help

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2015 9:01 PM in response to danfromparksville

I too have wrestled with this issue...what I have done is all the SMC and PRAM etc...but then I decided to pull plug out....put back in socket push power button at same time quick..and hold power for 20 seconds or so...press power again..the fans should really be loud and fast now....let it run..even if screen is black with sound...wait few mins...unplug ..attach a mini display port to thunderbolt slot or display slot on back...attach other end to tv or whatever attachment you have..I use an HDMI tv...) (the mini display cord can be dvi.. vga etc..just depends which attachment for the second monitor you buy) ..then I turn Imac back on and wait to see if it comes back on..if not I do the command option R and P sequence once more then start computer from off again...some how..the mini display port cord on second monitor seems to awake the screen on Imac no idea why but maybe video card is getting pooched..and somehow signal helps..If this happens again...Im gonna try another video card to see if it happens again and see if it keeps happening...hope this may help

Jan 5, 2015 8:26 PM in response to danfromparksville

Same problem. Tried everything mentioned in this and all the other posts that refer to this problem. Problem started when still using Mavericks, continues with latest Yosemite. Even had video card replaced. Genius Bar has no clue. My 27" iMac is unusable, newer iMacs experiencing the same problem. Nowhere to go with Apple products now. When is Apple going to address this issue?

Feb 16, 2015 10:03 AM in response to danfromparksville

I have had the same problem with my 2009 iMac 27 inch as well. It worked fine for years, and under Apple Hardware Replacement, Apple offered me a new Hard Drive due to issues. this was after 2 10 months of ownership. I took it to Apple, and they replaced the Hard Drive for me. To my surprise, they said my iMac had some issues with video, and replaced my main logic board, and power supply as well. When I got my iMac back, my fans seemed to run at a higher speed, and I called Apple on this, they said sometimes they will, and if I wanted, to take it back to the Apple Store where the repairs were done. Since this is over an hour drive for me, I passed on this option. About 6 months after the replacement, I began having black outs on my total screen as well. By lowering the brightness, I was able to control the frequency of these blacked out screens, but it is to the point now where I am only able to use my iMac with either one or sometimes 2 bars of brightness level. I checked online for issues, and found a couple ideas, then opened my iMac. First thing I noticed was that the 4 prong cable into my inverter board was not quite seated properly, as one of the 4 copper tabs was folded over. Upon looking at the inverter board where this cable slides into, I also noticed one of the capacitors had blackened areas at the contacts. I purchased a new cable, and inverter board as well, and installed them. This seemed to help for a few months, but now I am back to blackened out screens constantly, and using only one or 2 bars of brightness. After all these replacements, the only items I can think of is either the video card, or the screen backlight itself. Will investigate more, and hopefully get back. I have worked on Macs since the Mac Plus, and have some circuitry experience, so I'm prone to believe that each instance is a bit different, as each user has different loads he/she places on their computers. Also, having printed circuitry for years, I am aware of failure rates on boards, and different circumstances that can cause them to be accelerated. Bottom Line, small tight enclosures will have some issues with heat causing circuits to become faulty. The particulars are far too many to pinpoint except from the circuit printers' testing sites, and again, may be overlooked with fault rate parameters set for production. We all have the issues, but many things may have caused them. Personally, I love my old iMac, and will pay to get it repaired and possibly, even upgraded, if even by myself doing the work.

Oct 15, 2014 2:20 PM in response to sterling r

Tried this, but with no effect. Have since discovered the problem does not happen in Safe Mode. This makes me think it is software related.

Also, yesterday I reinstalled OS X and it seemed to sole the problem for about 5 hours including watching a lot of video on full brightness. Then, my son played about 1 hour of mine craft after installing java to support the game and now the screen goes out all the time again (unless I set it to just under 50% brightness).

Other ideas?

Oct 6, 2014 12:38 PM in response to danfromparksville

Hello there Dan,

It sounds like your iMac display is unexpectedly turning off, but the processes keep running. I recommend these troubleshooting steps from the following article, named:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Reset the resolution

Start by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displays
    from the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Oct 16, 2014 8:56 AM in response to danfromparksville

Thanks for the update. Safe Boot does a variety of things, but based on those symptoms and assuming you restored from a backup of some sort, I would look for Login Items that may be interfering with the computer in the background. This can be configured in System preferences when you click on a user from the list:

OS X Mavericks: Login Items pane of Users & Groups preferences

iMac Screen Goes Black Without Reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.