Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can the catch playhead be permanently turned off for a project?

How can the catch playhead be permanently turned off for a project?

In GarageBand 10.0.2, when you click the "Go to Beginning" button, or reposition the playhead pointer, the "Catch Playhead" button is activated (turned on) and the workspace area starts to automatically scroll positioning the playhead line in the middle of the workspace area. For me, this is very distracting. Since it defaults to ON when a project is opened, I would be very helpful to click the "Catch Playhead" button once after I open a project to turn it OFF and not have to be bothered with it again. I would rather scroll the workspace area myself when I need to. Then, just turn it back on when necessary.

Is this possible for this version of GarageBand?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 12:04 AM

The "Catch Playhead" implementation that you wish for is one of those Only-Available-In-Logic features. There you have two checkboxes in the Preferences that let you disable that the Catch Playhead is automatically enabled.

User uploaded file

The quickest way without these check boxes is to have your finger on the "tilde" key (the one above the tab key. That Key Command toggles the Catch Playhead button.

Please be aware that the Catch Playhead mode is independent for the Tracks Window and the Editor Windows.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 12:04 AM in response to obsdnChrome

The "Catch Playhead" implementation that you wish for is one of those Only-Available-In-Logic features. There you have two checkboxes in the Preferences that let you disable that the Catch Playhead is automatically enabled.

User uploaded file

The quickest way without these check boxes is to have your finger on the "tilde" key (the one above the tab key. That Key Command toggles the Catch Playhead button.

Please be aware that the Catch Playhead mode is independent for the Tracks Window and the Editor Windows.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 26, 2015 7:15 PM in response to obsdnChrome

dude, i'm on 10.1.0 and i have the same-but-exact-opposite problem: i want to know how to KEEP the "catch playhead" button ON because every time i edit one note it turns itself off--could be THE most annoying "feature" of all for me...

i can't believe no one's replied to you in all this time!?! ...and i can't believe how little support apple gives GB!?! so far, i've read every listing in the GB "help", i've googled all over, called apple, posted the question (i think on this site), even made an appointment and went in to an apple store... ALL TO NO AVAIL!!!

seems like a very simple basic question that SHOULD be easily answered by anyone who's even vaguely acquainted with the program at apple... i was a master at GB '11--now, i could kick myself for having kicked down for a new MBP and getting stuck with this horrible "new" GB--i'm having a hard time even looking at the 10.1.0 version (the graphic "design" seems to have been downgraded and made for a 6-year-old or something)... i'm trying to justify to myself having kicked down for a new MBP, maybe i should've just got my old one repaired...

so ANYways... (really didn't mean to vent here, it just came out) i actually just wanted to ask (that is if you ever get a solid answer to your question and it would also answer mine) if you'd let me know and of course i'll do the same for you? THX! may the nines be with you, and GOOD LUCK!

Nov 7, 2015 7:28 PM in response to obsdnChrome

So about a year later I decided to use GB for some mp3 editing and again got annoyed with that toggling catch playhead! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that was annoyed by it. (even for the opposite reason :-) )

@sarine, Yea it does seem like each new version they dumb down and/or hide/remove features.

@Edgar, Thanks for the response and the info! Using the key cmd is slightly less annoying but at least quicker than using the trackpad.

It is disappointing that No apple support reps have responded... Even just say that feature is not included.

how can the catch playhead be permanently turned off for a project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.