Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System installer thinks my main drive is my time Machine backup and won't install.

So, I asked this question last week, never found out the answer. I tried to upgrade- from Lion to Mavericks, and got stopped because of this:User uploaded file

So, I tried to reinstall Lion, to see if I could go back to original System, but darned if I didn't get the same message.

I do not use my main disk for time machine backups, I have an external that I use. So - How do I convince a system installer that it's getting the wrong idea about my main drive. I have gone into Time machine, and made sure the prefs were correct, I went into Library and trashed prefs, just in case I might have something screwy there, all to no avail. Anybody got a clue for me here?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 27inch i7 2.93

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies

Oct 4, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Kingoftypos

You know, I don't think it made any difference whether the external was attached or not- seems like Kappy had the right direction- move the backups folder from the root folder to the trash. I had no idea there even was a backups folder on the main drive - guess it was installed with the original system 10.7 when I bought the machine new...

But thanks so much for chiming in, it feels good to know that people out there want to help.

TD

Oct 4, 2014 10:07 PM in response to durantophone

From what I've read. If you have an external Time Machine, whether it's attached via a cable or via the Apple Time Capsule. A mini back up is done on the Mac OS X drive for when the Time Machine isn't available. Like on a MacBook Pro/Air or what not, where the Mac is at the office or school. But once the Time Machine disc is available, it then transfer the mim Time Machine back ups to it.

I don't if those were the files that were stopping you or not.

KOT

Oct 5, 2014 12:44 AM in response to Kingoftypos

Apparently this was the exact problem I encountered, and now that I can see the logic at work here, it makes perfect sense. I really didn't understand that was the case, and was confused because when I upgraded my MBP, this was not an issue, the upgrade went extremely smoothly. The funny thing is, I keep my external drive attached all the time to my iMac, but only occasionally attach the one I use for the laptop.

Hey thanks again,

TD

System installer thinks my main drive is my time Machine backup and won't install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.