Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine cannot see older files after upgrade to Mavericks

I had my iMac upgraded with an SSD drive & they added Mavericks with Fusion drive. I had TimeMachine in my old OS (Snow Leopard) backing up to an external drive. In Mavericks, TimeMachine (TM) now cannot read any of my archives when I go into the TM view. I see red minus signs on all files as shown below in Finder. In TM it only shows TODAY and I cannot see any oder archives even though the older dates are visible on the right side.

User uploaded file

When I look at the GET INFO on the external drive I see the following image under Permissions. It is not showing my name (sanjiv) as a user. Is that the problem?

User uploaded file

What do I need to do? HELP!

..sp

Time Machine-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 7:03 PM

First make sure you have read & write access to the folder you're trying to restore to. You should be able to see its contents in the Finder, and to move files in and out of it.

This is an exception to the rule that you should never make any changes to backup data. I've tested this procedure in OS X 10.8 only. It should work with later versions, but I don't know whether it works in earlier versions. Use it only for files that were backed up from your home folder, or a folder on another volume created by you, and would normally be writable by you. Do not touch backups of system or application files.

In the Finder (not in the time-travel view), navigate to the backup volume, then to the folder named "Backups.backupdb", and then to the snapshot you want to restore from. The snapshots are folders labeled with the date when they were created. Inside each of those folders is a file hierarchy like the one on the volume that was backed up. Descend through the hierarchy until you come to a folder named "Users," and inside that, a folder with your user name. The procedure will be different if you're trying to restore files on another volume.

Select the folder and open the Info dialog (command-I). Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and authenticate. In the Sharing & Permissions section, give your account Read & Write access. You may have to close the dialog and repeat this step in order for the change to show up. Then click the gear icon and select Apply to Enclosed Items from the popup menu.

Try the restore operation again, in the time-travel interface.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2014 7:03 PM in response to sp99

First make sure you have read & write access to the folder you're trying to restore to. You should be able to see its contents in the Finder, and to move files in and out of it.

This is an exception to the rule that you should never make any changes to backup data. I've tested this procedure in OS X 10.8 only. It should work with later versions, but I don't know whether it works in earlier versions. Use it only for files that were backed up from your home folder, or a folder on another volume created by you, and would normally be writable by you. Do not touch backups of system or application files.

In the Finder (not in the time-travel view), navigate to the backup volume, then to the folder named "Backups.backupdb", and then to the snapshot you want to restore from. The snapshots are folders labeled with the date when they were created. Inside each of those folders is a file hierarchy like the one on the volume that was backed up. Descend through the hierarchy until you come to a folder named "Users," and inside that, a folder with your user name. The procedure will be different if you're trying to restore files on another volume.

Select the folder and open the Info dialog (command-I). Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and authenticate. In the Sharing & Permissions section, give your account Read & Write access. You may have to close the dialog and repeat this step in order for the change to show up. Then click the gear icon and select Apply to Enclosed Items from the popup menu.

Try the restore operation again, in the time-travel interface.

Oct 5, 2014 12:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc:

Thanks a lot for your quick respnse and suggestions. Unfortunately it still did not help. I tried the Permissions on one archive set from 2011 and one recent one. THe images below show the red minus signs gone from the folders but in the TM window I still cannot go to that archive set.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

When I click on the pink area it does not go to that archive set. Any other ideas as to what is happening here?

Oct 5, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks so much Linc. That sure worked! But I am curious now as to why the normal route to the TM does not give access to all older archives?? Also the left Fav bar is all grayed out as you can see in the image below. I have to manually go thru each folder. Is that TM's normal behavior?

User uploaded file

The other problem that I see is that I have 191 old archives and if I have to access any of those older archives then I have to first go thru your original notes of giving it the Permissions and then do the restore. That is pretty painful. Once again, thanks for your prompt feedback. Trying to get my TM going so it is back to normal. Looks like I may have to create a Fresh TM backup if this cannot be resolved and keep this current backup on a separate partition. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated Linc.

..sanjiv

Oct 5, 2014 3:09 PM in response to sp99

This kind of thing happens when you don't follow Apple's instructions to restore from Time Machine. You ended up with an account that has a different numerical ID than the one you had before, and you didn't inherit the backup history of the old startup volume.

I suggest you put the backup drive aside. Don't use it again until you're sure you'll no longer need the data, then erase it and start over. Meanwhile, start a new backup on a different drive. You need more than one backup to be safe anyway.

Oct 5, 2014 5:25 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc. That is unfortunate. The reason this ID must have changed is because my system was upgraded from Leopard to Mavericks couple weeks ago. The username I retained as same. And so I thought the TM should work as-is. Just to avoid future mistakes, what exactly should I have done to inherit it properly?

Thanks again!

Oct 11, 2014 11:39 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you VERY MUCH Eric & Linc for the great tips. I went thru your links Eric, but I could not find an option where my orig backup is on an older disk (unless I missed it). My issue is that the old TM backup is on a smaller ext disk & I need to transfer that backup file to a new larger disk & then start the TM on this new Maverick system. So, can I just "copy" that backup data set to the new drive and then point TM to the new backup disk and follow your Setup Assistant/ / Inherit tips? Is that the correct approach? Note that I am on a 2011 iMac & I just upgraded to a new SSD drive & moved from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

TimeMachine cannot see older files after upgrade to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.