Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes doubling play counts after being listened to on iPhone 5

I just synced my phone to my iTunes after playing an album only once on my iPhone 5 and I noticed that my iTunes play count is showing that each song has actually been listened to twice. Same goes for a song that I played four times, the play count says that it was played eight times. Is this a new glitch/is there a way to fix this? I rely heavily on my play count numbers for playlists and sorting my music. Any help?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 8:22 PM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2014 5:20 AM in response to softrockstarr

See this page - Itunes playcount too high

Looks like a few people are having the issue aswell.

It appears that the iPhone and iTunes are holding two seperate play counters. Whenever you sync the phone, the play count on the phone should reset everything to zero. What is actually happening is that the iPhones play count and iTunes play count are adding together these numbers - hence the large increase in play count.

So, if you listen to a song once and then sync the phone - play count will be 1. If you then do the same - it jumps up to 3. Again, playing the song again - will increase the count to 5.

I've had this issue ever since iOS 8 and a few of my songs in iTunes have over 1300 plays... Fairly sure I didn't leave the song on repeat and let it play for 5 days straight...

iTunes doubling play counts after being listened to on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.