Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8 iTunes error

Has anyone ever encountered this iTunes error mssg:

iTunes could not connect to this iPad. The session id is missing.

I got the same message when I upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPhone too. The upgrades took & synching doesn't seem to be a problem. Is this simply another ios8 bug?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8, iphone 5 as well.

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 8:48 AM

Hi GeneralBLB,

It sounds as if you are having an issue with your iPad not connecting with iTunes on your Mac. I would suggest that you troubleshoot using the steps in this article -

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for OS X

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

5 replies

Oct 7, 2014 10:14 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the reply. I found another person in the community who had the same question & had a reply similar to yours. I don't have a problem connecting, it just popped up after I updated to ios8. It synchs fine now & I don't think I lost anything. It was just odd it happened on my iphone & ipad after I updated the software. My guess is its another ios8 bug.

Oct 12, 2014 6:25 PM in response to GeneralBLB

Yes, I had this error while updating my iPhone to iOS 8.0.2. During the upgrade process, my phone was restarting and the update progress bar was only 25% across the screen when it stopped and iTunes displayed the error message "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The Session ID is missing."

With your iOS device still connected, simply quit and relaunch iTunes. For me, there was a carrier update waiting to be applied to my iPhone that didn't appear until I quit and re-launched iTunes. iTunes applied the carrier update and the upgrade to iOS 8.0.2 completed successfully.

Dec 4, 2014 12:55 PM in response to GeneralBLB

I also have been getting this message, after each of the iOS 8 updates to my iPad. The update runs just fine (runs a long time, which I suppose is normal??). Then, at the end it shows this error message. I quit iTunes and relaunch. When I connect the iPad (an iPad Air) it shows that it has the latest OS (so the update 'took') and there are no apparent errors.

It would be nice to have some clues as to what this startling message actually does mean.

IOS 8 iTunes error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.