Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use gift card on apple store app?

So I recently received a email apple store gift card. The email gave me an option to add it to my passbook which I did. From my passbook I can link to the apple store app but once I select an item for purchase I don't see an option to select the gift card to use it for purchase. It only has my CC info but no option for other methods of payment. Unless I am missing something. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this an obvious oversight by Apple?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 9:29 PM

Where do you enter this info. I don't see an option to enter gift card info on the app. I can do it from the apple store online but not from the app on my iPhone. The only option I see to change payment type is to change your CC info.

8 replies

Oct 4, 2014 9:51 PM in response to Mrjune95

I think you are misunderstanding what app I am talking about. I am not talking about the App Store app. I am talking about the Apple Store app. Yes the App Store app and itunes app both have a redeem button but the Apple store app doesn't for some reason. It appears you can't use your gift card from the app on your phone. You can use your phone and use passbook to use it in a physical store or use your computer and use it online but not from the app itself. It seems like Apple has overlooked this.

Oct 5, 2014 12:20 AM in response to s49

Hi s49,

OK, so I got my gift card, put it in my Passbook by scanning the bar code with my iPhone camera (but it also appears that it could be updated via iCloud as well), and then tried to purchase something through the Apple Store app on my iPhone. I had the same result you did - it wanted to go to my credit card.

So, I started doing some digging and you can redeem the card using the Apple Store via a computer, or via the website, but the Passbook-enabled app means only that you can purchase passbook items via the iOS Apple Store (i.e. Gift Cards that will go into the Passbook, and which can be used in an Apple Store because they have the bar code on the pass in the passbook). Here is the paragraph from the Apple site on the Passbook-enabled apps:

Passbook-enabled apps: When you buy tickets, check in for a flight, or add a card through an iOS app, the app will offer or prompt you to add a pass to Passbook. To view a list of featured Passbook-enabled apps on your device, select the Welcome pass in Passbook and tap "Apps for Passbook". You can also click or tap this link to view the list in the iTunes Store: http://itunes.com/passbookapps.

So, the app allows you to purchase a Gift Card that can then be put into your passbook. The pass itself is used in a physical store. The Gift Card balance can be used online, but the only place you can redeem the card itself online is via the website.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

GB

P.S., and unlike the iTunes & App Store Gift Cards, you do not "redeem" the card and show a "balance" on your account. As you purchase items on the online site or through a physical store, if you provide the Gift Card PIN when completing the purchase, it will deduct the amount of the purchase from the card. You can check the balance by going online and typing in the PIN and it will tell you how much is left on the card. So it works a little differently than iTunes & App Store gift cards.

Can't use gift card on apple store app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.