Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyphenation in current Pages version

It seems that Pages 09 automatically added hyphens. In the current version, I see the box to turn off hyphenation, but the program does not seem to auto hyphenate anything. As I know something about typesetting, I find it odd that a 10 page, single spaced document with many "rivers" has exactly no hyphens. I checked, and the "turn off hyphenation" is not checked.

Suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 6:58 AM

5 replies

May 30, 2015 9:12 PM in response to Adam Harris1

There is a Hyphenation checkbox on the Toolbar ▸ Document panel. Hyphenation in Pages v5.2.2 will not appear as long as this checkbox is deselected. This will also override the “Remove paragraph hyphenation” when it is deselected in the Format ▸ Text ▸ More tab.

Peter's advice to resume usage of Pages '09 is not whimsical or rude. It is just that Pages 09 has 100+ more features, and countless more bug fixes than Apple has bothered to introduce in Pages v5 (any release). As these are entirely different applications, with different design goals, and remarkably different capability — the actual upgrade is Pages 09.

Hyphenation in current Pages version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.