Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight keyboard stuck W/iOS 8 iPad

When I swipe down to bring up Spotlight the keyboard comes up in the right side of the screen in what is, to it, portrait mode, even though the device is in landscape mode... When I rotate the device the background rotates as it should but the keyboard remains stuck.

i say this in another app so it's likely not Spotlight and is a larger problem.

I tried to include a link to am image to illustrate the problem but my iPad can't enter text in the URL box, another issue. Also Apple wants me to select a category but none apply to my issue. This is pretty annoying.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mac Mini, MBPro, iPhone, iPad

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 12:18 PM

Hi Mr. Fazookus,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I can understand your frustration if your iPhone orientation and keyboard are not functioning as expected. The first thing I would suggest in this situation is a reset. Please use the following article for instructions on how to reset your iPhone. Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance.

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

Have a great day,

Joe

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2014 12:18 PM in response to Mr. Fazookus

Hi Mr. Fazookus,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I can understand your frustration if your iPhone orientation and keyboard are not functioning as expected. The first thing I would suggest in this situation is a reset. Please use the following article for instructions on how to reset your iPhone. Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance.

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

Have a great day,

Joe

Oct 16, 2014 5:29 AM in response to AppleJoe

I have the same issue. I restarted the Ipad and it was fixed, but then it happened again... I also tried fiddling all the possible settings I coild find but it's still stuck to the side n matter what... Well... have not restarted again but this is not windows.. Bringing me to a thought... I hope Apple does not follow the MS of old and tell us reboot fixes the problem... Thats like telling us to put the wheel back on my new car after it fell off whilst going around the corner. Next is, don't turn left... Lol... I I hope this can get resolved soon! As it renders search useless with polarised sunnies on train black out portrait mode use...

i just had another symptom i remebered, reply in line to the imessage function show full size landscape keyboard but half is off the device! This is also portrait mode.... But wrong size! I can replicate this at will at the moment...

I recall from memory that this was triggered by the in line response to imesaages? while i was typing in another app like mail... lovely keyboard backspace just refused to delete some text.... :/ worried about ios8!.

I'll try to replicate and post a reply....

Oct 16, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Trichalo

I ied to compose this reply with Chrome but although the cursor was in the text entry box It wouldn't accept any input. I tried Safari and the 'reply' button wouldn't do anything.

So I'm using Maxthon and it works though I can't edit my message (I can't fix 'I tried' at the start).

Some fun.

but the twisted keyboard problem hasn't recurred since I wrote the original message.

Go figure. I can't capitalize 'but'.

Spotlight keyboard stuck W/iOS 8 iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.