Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing redownload unavailable

My son was using my Apple ID on his iPhone. Now family sharing is available I reset his iPhone and he uses his own Apple ID. For most apps family sharing works fine. But for Instagram, a free app, when he goes to my purchases it is not there even though I have downloaded it. When he searches for the app on the App Store it shows the cloud download icon but when we try and download we receive the message - Redownload unavailable with this Apple ID either because it was bought by another Apple ID or the item was refunded or cancelled. Does anyone know why a) the app does not show on family sharing and b) why he cannot download from the App Store.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 1:45 PM

Not all apps support/allow family sharing; it's up to the app developer. When you run into this, check the app description to find out. This is the Instagram description:

User uploaded file

8 replies

Nov 2, 2014 1:54 AM in response to randers4

It's reasonable for an app developer to say that their app is not available for family sharing.

But surely there should be a way for a second family member to purchase the app if they were willing to pay for it.

I'm trying to install the free TripAdvisor app on my wife's new iPhone but I get the same "redownload unavailable" message apparently because I have the device installed on my own iPhone.

Is there a way to install TripAdvisor on her iPhone?

If not, please tell me that it's a bug that will be fixed.

Nov 2, 2014 8:49 AM in response to randers4

Thanks for answering.

Actually trying to buy it via the App store is the only way.

Since this app is marked as not shareable, it doesn't show up on my wife's iPhone under the list of downloadable apps already purchased by another family member (me) .

When, on her iPhone, I click on the price (FREE), that 's when it gives the popup saying "Redownload unavailable with this Apple ID either because it was bought by another Apple ID or the item was refunded or cancelled."

According to other sources on the web, the app developer has to accept Apple's new monetary terms and conditions - even for a free app - before that app can be marked as shareable.

It seems unreasonable that if I install an app that is not eligible for family sharing, other family members cannot install that app at all, even if they are willing to pay the purchase price.

Family sharing redownload unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.