Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have child but no credit card

family shareing for a child under 13 (which I have 1 of) is predicated on me having a credit card ( which I don't have ) what is the altenitive?

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 11:16 AM

19 replies

Oct 5, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Jonnyhagg

How to Get Apps From the App Store Without a Credit Card

http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help/how-to-get-free-apps-from-the-app-store-without-a- credit-card/

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

Why can’t I select None when I edit my payment information?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5366

If None is not available - On your computer launch iTunes and click “iTunes Store” in the left navigation pane. Click the “down arrow” next to your name at the top right side of the page and click “Account.” Enter your username and password and click “View Account” to log into your account information. Next to your Payment Type, click “Edit.” Select the “None” button and click “Done.” Confirm that your card has been removed by returning to the Apple account information screen. Under Payment Type, it should say that there is no credit card on file.

iTunes Store: Changing your payment information

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1918

iTunes Store Accepted Forms of Payment

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5552

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Oct 6, 2014 6:05 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

If you're a part of Family Sharing

When you set up Family Sharing, the family organizer must provide a payment method. If your family includes a child account, the family organizer must use a credit card as the payment method. This payment method will be used for all purchases initiated by family members and can only be changed by the family organizer.

Oct 20, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Jonnyhagg

I feel your pain. I am trying to setup an account for my 7 year old and can't because Family Sharing won't accept a debit card (that is on file) in my iTunes account that I've used for years.

The people at Apple who set this policy must live in la la land and think that every adult in the US has a credit card. Hey have you guys ever heard of Dave Ramsey? Smart adults all over the country are getting rid of their credit cards. I haven't had a credit card in 6 years and I'm still paying the last one off. Which will be paid off in the next year. Guess what? I'm never getting another credit card Apple. Quit making things so hard for your customers.

Jan 4, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Gryhound25

I've done Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University also... and since I have NO CREDIT CARDS, C'mon Apple!! You can't think of another way to verify a parent's identity other than a credit card? really? Apple can guarantee ApplePay purchases but cant let me add a child account without having a credit card on file? Which is more believable? That Apple can't or that they just DONT CARE ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE US?

Jan 4, 2015 7:17 AM in response to krislerok

Apple are not here, these are user-to-user forums.

From Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids :

To comply with child online privacy protection laws, you will use the CVV or security code from a valid credit card as part of providing your parental consent. If the card on file is a debit card or another payment method, you’ll be asked to provide a credit card before you can continue. After you create the child's Apple ID, you can change your payment method back to a debit card.

If you want to leave feedback for Apple then use the link in the post above yours

Jan 4, 2015 8:13 AM in response to King_Penguin

King_Penguin.... I'm well aware of the online privacy laws, and the INTENT of the approach by Apple in response to online privacy.... Their thought, is that the CVV of the debit card is insufficient, likely because of all the private label cards that allow use without cardholder "user registration" (aka gift cards).. We all understand their INTENT.

Keep in mind two things.. 1 There are other ways to verify that you have the "parent's consent". Their own practice of allowing you to temporarily change to a credit card then back again (even if it's a "friend's" card) confirms that it's imperfect. Surely there are OTHER WAYS to imagine that the identity of the adult parent can be verified? Does a school use a credit card to verify parents for example??

Secondly, some people don't have credit cards (anymore) don't want them, wont ever, ever ever ever ever own a credit card. If I don't have the cash, I wont go into (credit card) debt to purchase it. EVER. This was explained in the reference to "Financial Peace"

Lastly, if you think Apple doesn't monitor these forums that's perhaps not necessarily true... IMO :-)

Nov 14, 2015 2:53 AM in response to Jonnyhagg

These forums are for members answering each other's questions so unfortunately not answered by Apple. I am not sure if they even read them. You can try and get some support apple.com/feedback

This is a bit of a response/question/request from me though that may be of use to others as I am sure others would have experienced these same problems and are equally concerned about this. At present, the current system would be encouraging many people to have to behave unethically.

Problem: To create a child AppleID account (or change an account to become a child account) you have to have a Credit Card (not Visa debit card)

Problem in Context (and scaled!): We are trying to write clear and concise instructions for setting up AppleID's correctly using Family Sharing as we roll out iPads to whole year groups of students under 13. It is difficult enough as it is at scale without unfair restrictions like this.

Solutions!!!: Many users will have had their own AppleID accounts for years without the need for a card that must be able to go into the red but to create a child AppleID account, parents/carers that don't have a Credit Card would have to:

• get a credit card - not possible for some;
  • OR "borrow" someone's credit card and create the account and then delete the credit card details from their account after! - huh!!
  • OR lie about their child's account until they are 13 (and not have the control they legally should have) - hmmmm!!
  • OR use UnionPay if you live in China or use mobile phone billing if you live in Germany!
  • OR use the parent account which brings me back full circle to the problem!!

These are not ethical solutions though and there needs be a better alternative for non-US families where the binding US laws do not hold. Any solutions or a fairer alternative from Apple would be greatly appreciated! Here is another members interesting take on it as well Re: Cannot create child Apple ID

NOTE: I am in Australia so cannot create accounts via http://www.apple.com/education/it/appleid/yet!

PPS I am 43 and realised I have NEVER had a credit card. I thought I had a credit card as I have had an equivalent VISA debit card that has behaved the same as a Credit Card everywhere (even in the iTunes store) UNTIL now!

Have child but no credit card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.