Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync issues with iPhone 6 Plus and iTunes

I'm having issues with syncing my iPhone and iTunes.

I am running: Mavericks 10.9.3 | iTunes 11.4 | iOS 8.0.2

Every time I try to sync my iPhone 6 Plus with iTunes, the sync process gets stuck on step 5 of 5 (waiting for changes to be applied). The longest this has occurred for is 2hrs. After this time I have stopped the sync and ejected my iPhone.

I had another issue with my phone when playing music. When going to play music, I was given the error message saying that the song could not be found. I connected my iPhone to iTunes and went to the tab in summery page, 'on this iPhone'. I found the song and could see that next to the song was a small what looked like dotted grey circle. After Googling this, I found a video saying that if i was to remove all my music and then add it again, this should fix the problem with this song. I did this and this was when the issue occurred again.

I unticked the option to remove all music but the sync did not finish. So I cancelled the sync, ejected my iPhone and tried again. This time, the summery page of my iPhone said there was no music on my iPhone and the 'on this iPhone' tab, this all so said there was no music however, my music was still on my iPhone including the song that would not play. All played ok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read lots in the Apple forums about lost of difference reason this may be happening. Things like bugs in iOS 8, app updates being transferred during the sync process, the latest iTunes version has bugs and even a dodgy USB cable could cause it. My iPod running iOS 5 syncs all ok but I get this problem as well on my iPad Air.

I all so had this issue with my old iPhone 4S. The problem occurred when running iOS 7 and 8 on the 4S. When I had it on the 4S, I did a restore of the 4S 4 times and thought I had found the issue down too a dodgy app. However, now that it has happened on my new iPhone and still not using that app, could this be an issue with my Mac/iTunes?

I am in contact with Apple Care, but this is such a long process.

So if anybody could please offer any advice on this or steps to try to maybe solve the issue, it would be really helpful. Or if anybody is experiencing the same problem, it would be good to know its not just my devices and Mac producing this sync problem.

I will update my post with any information provided by Apple Care as and when I get it.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time.

Mark. 🙂

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 1:12 PM

17 replies

Nov 10, 2017 1:36 PM in response to Charlotte54

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

If you click on the song in iTunes and then when it's still highlighted:

Click on File

Convert

Creat ACC Version

This will then produce a second copy of the sone in your iTunes library, an AAC version, you can then delete the old copy. This only works though on songs you have added yourself to iTunes not already purchased songs.

Hope that helps.

Nov 16, 2017 3:04 PM in response to sparkey-markey

The downloaded music from CDs does not appear in my library until i connect my IPhone 6 Plus. It only shows it in my phone - not in the itunes library. I sync it to the computer. When i disconnect from the PC the downloaded music disappears in the library. The downloaded songs from CD’s will not sync from my phone to my itunes library. This never occurred before. Now i cannot get my songs from the Iphone to the iTunes library.

Nov 17, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Charlotte54

Sorry but I am a little confused. You say that your music from CDs is not showing in your iTunes library but it is showing in your iPhone, it must be somewhere in your library as whats on your iOS device is just a copy of whats original in your library.

Could you please confirm what iOS version you are running on your iPhone, what version of iTunes you have and re you using iTunes on a Windows PC or a Mac? If a Mac what macOS do you have?

Nov 17, 2017 1:49 PM in response to Charlotte54

It has never been possible to move non-iTunes music from an iphone to a computer; you can only transfer such music one way, from computer to iPhone. You need to keep all of your ripped CDs on your computer in your iTunes library. iTunes-purchased music can be transferred both ways.

The music must have been on your computer at one time, because that is the only way to get it to your iPhone.

Oct 13, 2014 7:15 AM in response to sparkey-markey

Hi,

Just wanted to updated my original post and give some more information on this issue that I'm having with my iOS devices running iOS 8.0.2 and iTunes 11.4.

Firstly I just want to updated my details about what version of Mavericks I'm running. I'm running 10.9.5 - I put the wrong version down in my original post.

So over the last week, I have had a few phone calls with Apple Care an am dealing with a senior technical advisor about this issue.

I have been given some instructions that I am currently working through to see if it solves the sync issue with iTunes and my iOS devices.

The Apple Care advisor has pointed out that a iTunes version issue with music that I have ripped to iTunes and the current iTunes version could be what is causing the problem. For example, every song that I have purchased from iTunes since having an account, I was told are all exactly the same the same when it comes down the to data/information about that track/album that iTunes stores with the music but when it comes to music that I have added to iTunes myself from a CD, this was added and encoded with the version of iTunes that was running at the time of adding the music. So going through all the music that I added to iTunes over the last 10 years, you can imaging that there was lots of mixed version of iTunes linked to lots of different music.

At the moment, I'm having to go through all my music and find any that I have added and create a new ACC version of that music and delete the old version. However, due to the amount of music that I have, this is going to take a long time. When I was on the phone to the Apple Care advisor, we did several albums as a test and they all synced over to my iPhone. This may just have been luck though at that time.

Now, I'm not saying that this will solve the problem that I have with the sync issue but I am going to try it and see how I get on. The only down side to this fix as far as I can see at the moment, is that when it's all done, I think I will have to fully restore all my iOS devices to get music on to them.

I will of course updated this topic when I have got through all my music and tried to sync my iOS devices.

Thank you all for your comments.

Oct 25, 2014 4:35 PM in response to sparkey-markey

I think my sync problem is fixed...

I just wanted to update my original post and give an update to what I have done and found out.

I put in my last post that on my first call to Apple Care, after they viewed my screen, they noticed that all of my songs that I had put in to my iTunes library either from a CD or from a HDD, all these songs had been encoded with a different version of iTunes. All the Apple Care senior advisors that I spoke to were unable to tell me why they were all different and what this may have done to the sync process. I was advised to create a new version of each song which I did which intern created a new ACC and encoded that song with the most recent version of iTunes.

Another thing that I did was purchased a new Lighting cable to use with my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air. At the time of the problem, I was using a 30 Pin cable with a Lighting to 30 Pin adapter on it and a Lighting cable that came with my iPad Air. The Apple Care advisor was unable to say if the cables were broken but buying a new one does look to have helped.

After creating a new version of each song that I added to iTunes myself and buying a new sync cable, the issue looks to have gone and as it stands today, everything is working perfectly. Now I'm not saying this will work for other people but it could be a place to start and see who you get on.

May 28, 2015 7:08 AM in response to kellystyle

Hi Kelly,

First question and I know its a 'same old - same old' question but are you running the latest versions of iTunes on your computer and the latest version of iOS on your iPhone?

Next question, do you use the original sync cable that came with your iPhone when syncing? In my experience, when I've used adaptors and 3rd party cables, this has caused me many issues when syncing all of my iOS devices.

Does the sync complete if you don's sync your photos? Where are the photos stored on your computer? Are you using a Mac or Windows based computer?

It could be that the photos them selves may have gone a little corrupt and causing issues when iTunes is trying to sync them. If you sync but don't included the photos and it works OK this may be the problem.

Thanks,

Mark.

Sync issues with iPhone 6 Plus and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.