Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

V7 - no sound for audio channel "multi"

Have just upgraded to v7. I am now unable to hear audio playback on movies with primary audio channel set as "multi". no change to setup - hdmi direct to Samsung uhd TV. There was no problem with audio playback in v6.2 (I have a second apple tv and confirmed this).. I can hear audio when playing the movie via my macbook. AirPlay from MacBook to Apple tv also results in no sound. Is there a work around?

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 8

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 2:26 PM

6 replies

Oct 10, 2014 6:52 PM in response to tappo_the_merciless

Wish I would have seen this half an hour ago. Same issue. R C -R, dude if you don't know the answer, posting a well know searchable link that anyone who owns Apple products is well aware of. Help don't hinder, or just post for the sake of posting, geez.

'tappo', any resolution on your end for this issue, have tried all the fan-boy steps, to no avail, symptoms still persist. Video and audio works fine on everything except, home-sharing content, that previously worked with V6 and had no issues. Only thing that changed between TV, ATV, Computer, router, internet, etc. was ATV3 updating to V7, then, no worky-worky for any audio on home-sharing content.

Anyone with helpful advice, other that what's already been given, or the useless steps in the link provided, please feel free to contribute, while I hook my laptop back up to my TV, to watch my Home-Sharing content the old fashioned way. Again.

Oct 11, 2014 1:54 AM in response to Xsquid989

There is no way to know who has seen Apple's Knowledge Base articles, or more to the point, if they have tried everything suggested in them, without asking about that. And particularly when something is working for some users but not others, it is worth confirming that everything mentioned in an article has been tried before looking for alternate & perhaps more drastic solutions.

IOW, don't assume that everyone has seen or is aware of what you have, or that something that has not worked for you won't work for them.

And for the record, I have not had this issue with my ATV 3 after upgrading to V7 so I know it isn't something that affects everyone who does the upgrade. There has to be a reason for that. Figuring out what it is is the only way I know to help. For that it is important to know what has & hasn't been tried already, what might be different about the settings or hookup or TV, or anything else that might help explain it.

Oct 15, 2014 7:17 PM in response to tappo_the_merciless

I am also having this problem. I have three Apple TV’s, and two of the three were set to auto update. When the two updated to 7.0 neither of them produce audio when airplaying movies with multi channel audio. Some of my kid’s movies that are in stereo still work fine with the update, and my one Apple Tv that did not update still plays everything (stereo and multi channel) like normal. I have compared settings repeatedly on my Apple TV that works to the ones that don’t and from what I can tell they are set the same way. I am assuming the problem has to do with the update and manually changing the settings are not going to make it work. Hopefully the next update will fix this problem instead of creating a new one.

I have reset and restored both crippled Apple TVs and nothing has
changed.

V7 - no sound for audio channel "multi"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.