Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this a massive security issue?

so, after an epic hard drive fail, i formatted a usb stick and installed mavericks onto the stick. popped the stick in and booted from that, then using a large portable hard drive i plugged in, i accessed all the files on the mac book and copied them to the portable hard drive and then rebooted and reinstalled mavericks onto the mac and then copied all the filed from the portable to the mac.

so....

can i now plug my usb into any mac book, reboot and then just access all the files on the hard drive willy nilly? i seem to only have to type my password when deleting files from the system / library folders... documents wasn't requesting anything.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 2:50 PM

1 reply

Is this a massive security issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.