Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud for photos

I have 30,000 digital photos on my I mac in iPhoto.

My questions are -

- I will need to buy 200Gb on icloud

- How long would it take to upload

- do I lose control of my current files after I upload

- when I load photos from my camera to my Imac does a copy go to my hard drive as well as to the iCloud

- I want to keep my own copy as well as iCloud

- if I come out of Icloud for some reason in the future do I lose all my photos

- with all the leaks occurring in iCloud is it secure enough for family photos

- is there a difference between photo stream and icloud

- when I turn off photo stream on my iPhone it says all my photos will be erased, are they aerated from my I mac as well?

thanks

Imac Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 5:41 PM

1 reply

Oct 6, 2014 9:15 AM in response to Insurance

iCloud space is not for file storage from Macs. The following is from this Apple document: iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview:

What iCloud backs up

You have important information on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iCloud automatically backs up your device over Wi-Fi every day while it’s turned on, locked, and connected to a power source. With your device information backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have.

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and booksYour iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Some types of content aren’t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article Which types of items can I buy in my country?.
  • Photos and videos in your Camera Roll
  • Device settings
  • App data
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail

To store files from your Mac online you'll need to wait until Yosemite is released latter this month, upgrade to Yosemite on your Mac and then use the iCloud Drive: iCloud Drive FAQ

User uploaded file

iCloud for photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.