Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Hotmail to your Iphone IOS 8

I read a few different ways to setup hotmail on the iphone 5 IOS 8, but none that worked. One way I read was to setup hotmail by choosing exchange. Then use s.outlook.com for the server. This didn't work! Another way was similar to the first, but use m.hotmail.com as the server. This didn't work either. I think these failed because hotmail, now combined with Microsoft outlook, requires a 2 factor authentication process. I couldn't figure out how to enter in my 2 factor authentication code from the authenticator app. After some more digging I figured out how to generate a onetime password from my Microsoft account. This is possible since some devices don't account for 2 factor authentication (like xbox, playstation, and now IOS 8).

This is what I did to setup hotmail on my iphone 5s IOS 8:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account (login.live.com)

2. Under Password and security info, click Edit security info.

3. Under App passwords, click Create a new app password.

4. A new app password is generated and appears on your screen (write this down or keep the screen open).

5. Now go to your settings in your iphone.

6. click on mail,contact, calendars

7. add new account

8. Click on Outlook.com

9. Enter in your required information.

Important: Enter your one time generated password that you created from your Microsoft account for the password!

10. Then select if you want to sync contacts, mail, calendars and the process is complete.

I hope this helps!

iPhone 5, iOS 8, Hotmail

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 8:02 PM

3 replies

Adding Hotmail to your Iphone IOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.