Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ever since the IOS 8 download, my iphone 5s keeps crashing and now won't turn on at all. Have tried the two button press action-- to no avail.

Ever since the IOS 8 download, my iphone 5s keeps crashing and now won't turn on at all! I have tried holding down both buttons, to no avail. Help!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 4:13 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2014 7:21 AM in response to Broomhill

Hello Broomhill,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

In order to resolve this issue where your iPhone will not power on, I'd like you to please follow the troubleshooting steps outlined below.

Will not turn on, will not turn on unless connected to power, or unexpected power off

1. Verify that the Sleep/Wake button functions. If it does not function, inspect it for signs of damage. If the button is damaged or is not functioning when pressed, seek service.
  2. Check if a Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) is activated or there are signs of corrosion. Learn about LCIsand corrosion.
  3. Connect the iPhone to the iPhone's USB power adapter and let it charge for at least ten minutes.
  4. After at least 30 minutes, if:
    • The home screen appears: The iPhone should be working. Update to the latest version of iOS if necessary. Continue charging it until it is completely charged and you see this battery icon in the upper-right corner of the screen User uploaded file. Then unplug the phone from power. If it immediately turns off, seek service.
    • The low-battery image appears, even after the phone has charged for at least 20 minutes: See "iPhone displays the low-battery image and is unresponsive" symptom in this article.
    • Something other than the Home screen or Low Battery image appears, continue with this article for further troubleshooting steps.
  5. If the iPhone did not turn on, reset it while connected to the iPhone USB power adapter.
    • If the display turns on, go to step 4.
    • If the display remains black, go to next step.
  6. Connect the iPhone to a computer and open iTunes. If iTunes recognizes the iPhone and indicates that it is in recovery mode, attempt to restore the iPhone. If the iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes or if you have difficulties in restoring the iPhone, see this article for further assistance.
  7. If restoring the iPhone resolved the issue, go to step 4. If restoring the iPhone did not solve the issue, seek service.

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

Cheers,

Alex H.

Oct 8, 2014 7:35 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks Alex. Have now replaced iphone with another iphone 5s running on IOS 7. I am a pensioner and really cannot cope with all this high tech stuff! I just want a good phone that works without having to have a degree in computer sciences to run it! Very disappointed that the software update has caused so much hassle. We have 4 devices and installed the update on each. Very annoyed to find that this used all our allocation of WIFI data for the month. Have had to buy more.

One point please. I saved my pictures from the knackered phone on icloud. Because the new phone runs on IOS7 I am being told that I cannot download them to my new phone without changing to IOS8. This I am loathe to do because I don't want the same issues. Any hints please?

Oct 8, 2014 10:36 AM in response to Broomhill

Hi Broomhill,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

To answer your question about restoring from your iOS 8 backup to your current phone running iOS 7, it is not supported. You will need to either update your iPhone to iOS 8, or transfer the content from the iOS 8 device to your computer, and then sync to your iOS 7 device.

iOS does not support restoring a backup from a newer version of iOS to a device using an older version of iOS.

Example: Restoring a backup from an iOS 7 device to an iOS 6.x or earlier device is not supported.

If you wish to transfer content from a device with a newer version of iOS to a device using an earlier version, follow these steps to transfer the content to your computer, and then use iTunes to sync the content to your device.

Note: Some content, including messages, app data, and other settings, cannot be transferred using this method.

iOS: Unable to restore from backup of a newer device

Cheers,

Alex H.

Ever since the IOS 8 download, my iphone 5s keeps crashing and now won't turn on at all. Have tried the two button press action-- to no avail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.