Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iPad Air won't turn on after restoring iPhone 4S backup to it

This one is probably a bit weird or specific so hopefully someone from Apple can support me with it.

I have an iPhone 4S that is just over 2 years old which I bought in the UK. I have now emigrated to Australia and have just bought a brand new iPad Air here. Although the charger adapter that came in the box isn't an Australian plug as the 2 pins are straight up and down rather than at a 45 degree angle. That may or may not make any difference.

Last week I updated my iPhone to iOS 8.02. After I had set the iPad up as a new device, the first thing I did with the iPad was plug it into the macbook and update it to iOS 8.02 through iTunes.

I want my iPad to look just like my iPhone, same apps, same folders, same settings, same contacts and mail accounts etc. I did this for my wife's iPhone and iPad about 7-9 months ago in the UK both UK devices and it all worked fine on the software at the time.

I have changed the location on my iTunes account to be Australian and changed all my contact details to be my new details.

When I restore the latest iPhone back up my iPad the iPad won't turn on any more. It also won't reboot with a long press of the power button, but when I connect it up to iTunes it is recognised. It also initially says it is only a 16GB iPad, but I have a 32GB iPad and a 16GB iPhone 4S. When I try and do anything in iTunes like sync or backup or apply changes it says I need to input my security key, but I can't on the iPad because the screen won't light up.

If I restore the iPad to factory from iTunes then the screen works again and it's all OK. So I then tried doing a brand new iPhone 4S backup which I encrypted to ensure that all passwords where backed up and tried restoring that backup to the iPad, but it had the same issue.

Is this an iOS 8.02 specific defect or something to do with trying to restore a UK iPhone to an Australian (or other country) iPad?

Please help.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 2:42 AM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2014 10:38 PM in response to JL_TX2

HI. No reply yet. I had to work around the issue by setting up as a new device and putting in my Apple ID and setting up G mail from scratch. I manually downloaded the apps I wanted on my iPad and now any new apps I download in the ipad automatically download to the iphone where I usually delete them because I am running out out of space on my phone.

Apr 6, 2015 9:28 AM in response to TalcumBoy

Hi were you able to resolve yours?

I was very worried losing all my medical stuff on my iPad Air 2, plus i have nothing to use for the next day! So i have to try all the possible things i read on the internet!! And this worked on my part (Thank God, and thank you Google)

Perform a hard reboot

Hold down the Home button and Power button on your iPhone or iPad and keep holding them until you see the Apple logo. Once you do, you can let go. When your device boots back up, go ahead and check to see if the apps have started re-downloading. If they still appear to be stuck, continue on.

new iPad Air won't turn on after restoring iPhone 4S backup to it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.